Best Friends No More

Emmet doesn't mind being controlled like a puppet. He has nothing to complain about living life through his best friend Cole Hartman. Conversing in silence as he listens but never speaks. Not exactly conversing per say but hangs on to every word.

Observing life, behaviors and everything in between the lines no one may notice or remember. Birthdays, special occasions, school class schedules, favorite songs and embarrassing moments.

He is continuously dragged everywhere in the pass years by his friend as a security blanket. Following right beside Cole, pulled around from four and a half years old to now in the late teen years.

He watches. He sits beside his friend day after day since they became best friends. And like any other normal day they are in Cole's too crowded bedroom.

Cole is standing up in the middle of his messy desfuctional room seeming unsure of how to begin in the conversation.

A diverse mix of emotions show on Emmet's blank face except for inside himself worrying over what is about to come of this day around seven in the afternoon on a Friday night. 'What's wrong?' he wants to ask desperately but the words never come out.

"We can't be friends anymore." the other boy, a young man now to be more precise shy of his eighteenth birthday by three weeks, says to the less composed Emmet.

Watching in complete despair Cole cannot see after those words being spoken. His best friend. Emmet's only friend through the years from childhood is telling him they cannot be friends anymore.

That's absurd. That is borderline insane. Words and thoughts cannot be formed in Emmet's mind but sadness.

He's being tossed out of Cole's life as if he was nothing to him. All those years they spent together meaning nothing to him but they meant everything to Emmet.

"I just think it's time Emmet. I'm sorry but this is how it's gotta be." Emmet tries to block out what he is hearing. He doesn't want to come to terms with the sad reality as it comes. He's doing a good job until he sees Cole's expression.

No hint of sadness lingers in Cole's eyes or his voice for ending a long friendship with someone who has always been there for him through better or worse.

If sadness is there it is sure hidden too well for Emmet who can not see it. He becomes instantly broken inside to see this scene.

He's never talked in the friendship to Cole but Cole never minded. Instead Emmet did a great job listening which is what his best friend liked about him.Everything his best friend said was heard loud and clear.

He listened intently to his best friend's problems; big or small. Cole's mother and father's divorce at eight years old he has struggled to deal with. Being forced to live with his mom and not his dad who moved miles away and hardly has found the time to visit let alone send a card on his son's birthday.

Then there were the other minor problems compared to the worst concerning bullies at school or across the street. Not fitting in, then fitting in during high school. Also it can't be forgotten the crazy teen peer pressures of having a first sip of beer at a party, a first kiss with a girl and more.

Emmet listened to it all for hours, not saying a word to judge or even a weird glance, hearing what is troubling his best friend Cole. He never once complained about it or about the way he could slowly see his friend start to grow and drift apart and build more friendships out of theirs.

Broken promises to hang out leaves Emmet more and more time to spend, what was once those long hours they spent time together as good friends, in solitude by himself.