Bad News (Edited)

Chapter 2 Bad News (Edited by Sym165)  

Matthew's POV

I tell Julie I'll be right back, that I need to use the bathroom. I'm actually going to look for the doctor, I need to talk to him. I know something's wrong, I can feel it. I go to the front desk asking the receptionist Carrie where Dr. Hamilton is. She tells me he's in his office.

"Can I go in there and speak to him?" I ask politely.  She looks at me sympathetically and says, "Sorry he's on the phone right now and will be with you and your wife shortly." 

I look her straight in the eyes. "It's really important. Please."

She stands up, putting her hand on my shoulder and looks at me, concerned. "The doctor will be with you soon. Please go back in the exam room and wait for him."

Now I'm getting mad. I want to know what's going on, so I yell,  "No, I'm not waiting!" and start heading towards Dr. Hamilton's office. Carrie follows close behind, saying, "Mr. Taylor, you can't go in there."      

However, I didn't listen. I barge into the doctor's office just as he's hanging up the phone.  "Mr. Taylor, is everything okay?" Dr. Hamilton asks, giving me a worried look. 

"I know something's wrong. Please tell me the baby is okay, we've been-" Dr. Hamilton cuts me off, "The baby is fine, but there is something wrong. Please follow me to the exam room so I can tell you and Julie together." 

I sigh and follow him to the room. I have so many thoughts going through my head that it's giving me a headache.

I'm sitting next to Julie, holding her hand. We wait patiently for the doctor to tell us what's going on. He's sitting there looking through her medical file. I swear, if he doesn't say something soon, I'm going to lose it. I know I can't, though. I have to be strong for Julie. She's been through so much with her cancer I don't know how she will handle whatever Dr. Hamilton tells us. The doctor looks up at us and finally speaks, "Mr. & Mrs. Taylor, first of all I want to assure  you that the baby is fine and healthy, but Julie, going by your blood test results and the ultrasound I'm really sorry to say that your cancer has returned."

I turn to Julie and wrap my arms around her just as she starts sobbing. She cries, "NO, IT CAN'T BE! WE'RE FINALLY HAVING A BABY, THIS WAS SUPPOSED A GREAT DAY!!!!!"  

I turn to the doctor. "This can't be right. Please tell me the tests are wrong. Please," I plead. 

The look on Dr. Hamilton's face tells me the tests are right. Julie and I hold each other. I'm trying not to cry and keep it together.

"So what happens now?" I ask. I start to say something else, but the doctor cuts me off and looks at Julie.  

"Mrs.Taylor, I've already talked with your Oncologist and we both agreed that you will need chemo, radiation and possibly surgery if the first two don't work. I know this is really hard and a lot to take in but unfortunately, we can't treat you while you're pregnant. As hard as it may be, you'll need to have an abortion before we can start your treatment."  

Next thing I know, Julie yanks herself out of my arms, stands up and start's yelling in the doctor's face. 

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, I AM NOT GETTING RID OF THIS BABY, NO WAY!!!!" I walk over to her and pull her into a hug, whispering into her ear, "Sweetheart, please calm down."  

Her breathing starts to slow and I can feel her tears through my shirt. It breaks my heart.  "Mrs. Taylor," the doctor says. "WHAT?" she snaps, full of sadness and anger.  

"If you chose to keep this baby, we can't treat your cancer. You will be putting your own life at risk. Without treatment for that long, your survival rate would be around 10%. Please think this through before you decide."

I'm in total shock right now. I don't want to lose my wife or our baby. I know she wants to keep the baby and not get treatment, but I'm not sure if I agree. I mean we can always have another baby; I feel horrible for even thinking that,  but I can't lose Julie, she's my world.   

"If we choose not to keep the baby, once Julie is better, will she be able to get pregnant again?" I ask.  

"The chances that she will be able to conceive again are very slim."  

Before I can even speak, Julie looks at both of us and says, "I'm keeping this baby, even if it costs me my life in the end. I'm sorry if you don't agree, Matthew, but we created this life together and may never get another chance at it." 

"I know sweetheart, but-" she cuts me off by putting her finger to my mouth. "I'm keeping the baby and that's my final decision. If I lose my life so that our child can live, I'll pass away happy, knowing that our child will be raised by a great man who will give him or her an amazing life with lots of love."  

"Please Julie, I can't live without you," I tell her, finally breaking down in tears. She comes over and hugs me, whispering, "You'll be a great dad, Matthew, I know it. Please respect my wishes and just enjoy this pregnancy with me like it's normal."