"That's the problem, I like you far too much."

WARNING: 1940s PRE-SERUM STEVE. GET YOUR FEELS SHOTS BECAUSE THIS ONE IS GONNA HURT.

ALSO BUCKY.

I hope you enjoy!

*******

You walked down the dark street in the cold rain. Normally you loved just standing outside and feeling the rain pour down your face. However, right now you were in your nicest dress heading home from the worst date you'd ever had. You shivered and pulled your coat tighter around yourself, but it didn't do much. You were completely soaked, from your squishy dancing shoes, to your clinging soppy dress and coat, and finally, your stringy wet hair.

You closed your eyes for a moment and attempted to wipe some water off of your face, but it was to no avail. You squinted your eyes against the heavy downpour and recognized your apartment only a few yards away. You breathed out a sigh of relief and picked up your pace, splashing through the puddle ridden street.

You couldn't wait to get inside and change into something warmer. Maybe Steve or Buck would let you borrow whatever shirt they were wearing, it was bound to be warm already.

You smiled to think of your two best goofy friends. After your parents' deaths when you had just graduated high school you had accepted Steve and Bucky's offer to live with them. You three shared a two bedroom apartment, and were pretty luck to have even that. The boys shared a room, and you got your own. To help support the apartment you had a few shifts you worked at a diner. Tonight had been a night off, and it had turned into a disaster.

You rushed up to the door and refused to focus on the awful date until you got inside where your overprotective-brother-like-friends were sure to demand a full account. You'd tell them everything of course, and even if you protested Buck would probably beat the guy up something awful.

You fumbled with your key in your pocket, until you managed to unlock the door. You got it unlocked but before you could actually open the door it was flung outward and a pair of hands grasped yours and pulled you inside.

"Steve?" You asked as the door was shut firmly behind you. You recognized the feeling of his hands, he had known you for years and years, and you'd mapped out the feeling of his hands. Buck was also there and he frowned at the sodden state of you. But he pulled you into a hug anyways. You smiled, even though you were likely to get him wet, Bucky was always there for you.

"What happened kid? Did your date ditch you?" He demanded and you gratefully accepted his warmth. You wrapped your arms around him and lingered a moment.

"Jeez you're warm." You exhaled contentedly while snuggling up to him to absorb his warmth.

"Jeez you're freezing." He countered. After a moment he released you while chuckling to himself. He often thought you were drunk when you got tired. But he knew he'd never seen you actually drunk, and he still couldn't wait for the day he got to see it. He knew it was sure to be a riot.

Steve offered his arms for a hug next and you immediately flew into them knocking him back a step. He laughed, and you clutched harder to him, refusing to let him go.

"And no, I ditched my date." You specified you left the dance hall of your own free will. Not because your date left first. You didn't want them to think you were weak enough for that. . "Okay well he took off with some hussy so I got bored and left." You gave them more of the truth as you pulled away from Steve and dragged yourself toward your room.

"Aren't ya going to tell us the whole story?" Steve questioned as you plodded away, both him and Buck following you with concerned looks. They could tell by your tone that while you now hated this guy, your feelings had been hurt.