Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine, Lou," his voice cracked when he said it and I knew he was anything but fine right now. "We'll be back in just a minute, alright?"

I wanted to ask about Zayn but now wasn't the best time for that; I was more worried about Harry's definition of fine; how did he look?

"Alright, love," I finally said back in a whisper, "I'm... I'm glad you're alright."

"You know me," he said softly, "I always survive."

"I want to be so fucking pissed at you," I sighed into the phone before smiling a little.

"I know you do,"he whispered back, "but I had to do this alone..."

I bit my lip and stayed quiet for a few seconds. "I love you, Harry."

"I love you, too," his reply was soft. "See you in just a minute."

I ended the call and turned to Niall who seemed happier knowing he was alright.

"They'll be back in a minute," I said slowly.

"So, he and Zayn are ok?" Niall asked.

"I guess," I shrugged a little, my nerves still on edge. I walked over to Harry's box and pulled out a joint, then opened the balcony doors and lit it.

Niall made his way over, his arms crossed while he glanced up and down the busy streets.

"What's gonna happen, Louis?" He spoke up, his eyes on me when I looked back, "what's going to happen to Harry? This can't keep going on."

I looked back out at the cloudy skies, wondering how I even answered a question like that.

"I don't know, Horan," I managed to reply finally, my eyes staying off in the distance, "I really don't... I want to kill the fucker, though..."

Niall didn't say anything. I felt like his silence was confirmation that he felt the exact same. I was positive he did. Niall wasn't much of a fighter or anything; and he didn't show when things bothered him, as far as I knew.... except this. It bothered Niall to see Harry going through this.

What was happening to Harry wasn't only tearing Harry apart; it was tearing us all apart.

No wonder Harry had never opened up to anyone. No wonder he had chosen to push everyone away; for him it was simpler. He was the only one carrying the burden... and he hadn't wanted anyone else to carry it but him. He didn't want his best friends knowing the hell he was still going through, even if he was trying to cut ties with the bastard.

He didn't want us worried about him.

"He's a lot different, isn't he?" I spoke up, turning back to Niall. His eyes met mine, "Harry, I mean... once he's honest."

Niall nodded a little, "yeah, he is. I never knew a lot of this... I mean, some I knew because I saw it."

"Saw it?" I asked him curiously.

He sighed and pointed to the joint. I gladly offered it to him. He took a huge hit and breathed it out before continuing, "I've seen Darren with Harry... more than once, Louis. I just never said anything."

"Yeah, well, they didn't use to be discreet," I mumbled under my breath, shaking my head.

He nodded a little, taking another hit, "I remember one night though... Harry had left the pub saying he felt like shit.. Darren wasn't there with us. I came home early thinking, you know, I'd check on him..."

I lit a cigarette and watched him closely.

"Harry hadn't expected me to come home early," he spoke, glancing down at his feet, "and... well, it's not something I'll ever forget... Harry was telling the guy to leave and he wouldn't listen..."