s c a r

I am s c a r.

I am a permanent imprint, a reminder, a shout to all about what you've done.

Perhaps most importantly, I am a constant; I will be with you forever.

Its a bit like marriage I suppose, when you add another one of me to your skin.

We say our vows and agree to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.

Although I'll admit, there isn't much love or cherishing going on in our relationship.

I am the spouse you wish you could divorce, but cannot.

Or perhaps I am your secret lover.

I can be either really. If I am the would be divorcee, then you hide yourself from me, scream and cry about how much you hate me, and wish we had never met.

But you always come back. And I'm always there waiting.

If I am the one you are having an affair with, you know that what you are doing is wrong, but at the same time it feels like the only option you have. After each time we meet, I become your dirty little secret, hidden from everyone you know. You swear it will end and that you'll stop.

But you always come back. And I'm always there with you, waiting, whether you like it or not.

I am with you when you laugh, I am with you when you s m i l e, I am with you sleep, dream, h o p e, and wonder.

I am with you when you c r y, and s c r e a m, and die inside.

Maybe this, when you are at your weakest, is when you are compelled you to return to me, to marry me once more.

If you are new to marriage or to affairs like ours,  I would like to give you some advice: You may not want people to find out about our relationship.

If you hide me correctly no one will know.

If you don't...

Well, I always find that funny.

You probably wouldn't though.