i n s e c u r i t y

I am i n s e c u r i t y.

I am that nagging thought at the back of your brain, or perhaps sometimes the front.

I am that questioning look you give your outfit.

I am that blinding desire to have the newest fad.

I am the one who makes you act like those around you; the one who makes you try and conform to society's standards.

Whether it be the standards of physical appearance, mental capabilities, or something completely different, I am the one who forces you to change.

You can try to ignore me but the burning shame you feel when you are different will always be there. And wherever it is, I can promise you I won't be far behind. Maybe I'll even get to you before you can put up any barriers to block me.

They wouldn't work anyways, I would find a crack in your shield; I always do.

But you might say, I have no time for i n s e c u r i t y in my life, no room.

But I'll just sit back and laugh because I'll have already planted my roots, already made myself at home in the soil of your brain and already sprouted leaves of suggestion. Suggestions on how to blend yourself in with society and its standards.

Because even if you swear you don't, you have me.

Everyone does.