Intrinsic Value

Hello! Welcome back! Happy to have you along! Now, on with the show!

"Ah, your necklace, Your Majesty," Gehru said, bowing with over-the-top panache. At the same time, he held out Mimi's cross pendant, presenting it with two hands. He had finished analyzing it as requested, and as he returned it, he imagined himself a servant to his queen.

Squawk! Squawk! Phoenix extended and flapped his wings a couple of times as he watched nearby.

"Thank you, Sir Gehru," Mimi replied in a fake, deep-voiced accent.

She turned her head toward Phoenix and gave him a brief, wide-eyed stare, followed by a smile.

Squawk! Squawk!

The cross pendant looked like a completely different piece of jewelry. Instead of a dingy grey bit with black crevices, the cross was now a bright silver and white creation. Even the chain link was brightened.

"Wow!" Mimi declared. "It's so shiny and pretty now."

"Yes, Ma'am! Now it match-it the Queen," Gehru said, his face smiling broadly, exposing his prominent crooked teeth.

"Aww!" Mimi raised her eyebrows and shrugged her shoulders. "Thank you, Gehru." She gave her good friend a hug.

"Me take-it the necklace to Jhomi, and he clean-it-up all the tarnish, real good."

Gehru knew all the right people at Anderson Science Center. Jhomi was a chemical engineering resident and Gehru's friend.

"What's it made of?" Mimi asked.

"Alloy composition, Ma'am. Not unusual. Good strength. Good 'lectric and thermie con-duc, err... "

Gehru paused at his pronunciation and swallowed.

"Con-duc-tivity. Good re-flec-tivity."

"Any magnetic properties?" Mimi asked.

"No."

"Radiation levels?"

"No."

"No? So why would Alessandro be so interested in this then?" Mimi asked herself aloud. "Gehru, what did you say it was made of, again?"

"Combination silver alloy."

"Silver, huh?"

"Yes, 92.5%, to be exact-ly. It called 'starling' silver."

Squaaa... ? Phoenix' head perked up.

"Starling?" Mimi asked, "like the bird?"

"Yes, Ma'am," Gehru responded.

Squawk! Squawwk!

"I thought it was made of steel."

"No, not iron alloy."

"Hmm... " Mimi said, "that's why it's so much prettier than iron."

"Ah, more than a pretty face!" Gehru replied. "We use silver in a lot of our 'lectronics."

"Yes, it has a lot of uses."

"It can kill things."

Mimi's frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Silver is anti-mi-crobal," Gehru said. "It kills bacteria, germs. Bad things."

"Oh," Mimi replied, "I see."

She stared at the necklace, glinting in her hand.

"Thank you, Gehru, for all of your research."

"You're welcome, Ma'am!"

"Please, stop with all that royal address, okay?"

Gehru smiled from ear to ear.