Proving Goodness Over Evil

Hello Everyone! Thanks for reading, voting, sharing. Those moments of wonder mean so much. I cannot thank everyone enough for their support. This updated chapter is dedicated to @happyfacecrystal, who has helped renew my efforts in editing this beast of a story. Hope you will like it. On with the show!

"Prove Goodness over Evil"

Sitting cross-legged on the table in the lab, the teenage boy closed his eyes and took in a slow, deep breath, his chest and rib cage expanding to a maximum capacity. He held his spine straight, and raised his head high, trembling with the length of effort. He began to sweat. At the same time, he tried to relax and take the tension out of his arms and legs. He reached out over the top of his knees and turned his wrists over. Forming 'o's with his index fingers and thumbs, he extended his other fingers outward.

Then, Elliot let out a deliberate and even exhalation.

"Ommm... "

Calmness. Serenity.

"Ommm... "

It was easier to breathe with an open mouth than through a swollen nose.

"Ommm... "

Elliot was so immersed in his own world, he didn't seem to notice the off-key sound of his voice.

"Ohh, ommm!"

He also didn't hear Mimi enter the room.

"Oh, ohh, ommm!"

"What on Earth are you doing?" the female HP officer asked.

The young scientist lost his composure and reached for the surface of the table. Trying to escape his pretzel hips, he fumbled and grimaced.

Mimi giggled.

"N-nothing," Elliot stammered. "I'm not doing anything." He gave a flitting look.

"Why are you trying to act like Aless?" Mimi asked.

"I-I'm not, I'm just... "

Elliot was at a loss for words. He shrugged and gave an extended sigh.

Mimi smiled. She walked over and gave Elliot a hug. "Are you okay?"

Elliot melted into her embrace, staying there longer than she expected.

"What happened to your face?" Mimi asked. She loosened her hold to look at the bruising on Elliot's nose and upper cheek. "Did you run into the wall again?" She laughed.

Elliot pushed his childhood friend away. "Stop, Memes, don't."

"Alright, alright," Mimi said softly. She corralled Elliot's arms and hugged him with a tighter squeeze, longer than he expected.

Elliot sighed. "I don't know why I'm doing all these crazy poses. Aless says it helps him stay calm. It's supposed to be a way of meditating -- finding inner peace."

Mimi released her grip to face the young man.

"Why are you trying to find inner peace?"

"I-I don't know... "

He hesitated.

"... Well, I guess I... I'm trying to... "

He sighed.

" I-I don't know what my purpose is."

"Your purpose?"

"Yeah, like, 'Why am I here?' 'What am I doing?'" He blankly looked at his childhood friend. "I don't know what I'm doing."