What Must Be Done

"How is our reptilian friend coming along?" Dr. Tomas asked.

The day's work was finished, but Dr. Tomas and Dr. Wilem remained at the treatment bay later than usual. A green-blue tarragon dragon had had surgery to repair her fractured wing, but the procedure had been complicated. The young female had sustained several burn injuries in the process. Unexpectedly. Despite the wounds -- additional sources for fever and infection -- the patient, for now, rested quietly on a bed of dry straw in the corner of the room. Meanwhile, the two physicians checked in on her status.

Dr. Wilem crouched close to the floor, patting the neck of the gigantic beast. At the same time, he examined the lizard's left temple where one of the laser injuries had been bandaged.

Tober, Dr. Wilem thought.

"She's lucky," Dr. Wilem finally spoke up, "especially after everything that happened."

"Ah, yes," Dr. Tomas said. "Fortunately, the fracture repair was straightforward."

Dr. Wilem hesitated. He looked at his former mentor. "No, Professor. That's not what I'm talking about, and you know it." The younger instructor threw down a piece of straw. He stood up and walked around the recovering animal.

"Thankfully, she's going to be fine," Dr. Thomas said, looking the other way. He inspected the metal plate that had been placed to support the beast's broken wing.

On the other side of the animal, Dr. Wilem examined the blast wounds at the reptile's tail. The good sized, fresh wounds were lightly dressed with gauze. The doctor lifted one edge of the bandages to partially view the injury. Its edges were charred, while its center weeped a clear, serous fluid.

"No, I'm referring to Tober and the blatant misuse of his firearm," Dr. Wilem said. "This shouldn't have happened. There's no way a gun set on low power should have produced these kinds of wounds."

Dr. Tomas pursed his lips and nodded. "He's made threatening statements against the animals before -- it's already cost him his tenure -- but he's never gone so far as to purposely cause injuries like this."

"We need to file a report," Dr. Wilem said.

Dr. Tomas tightened his jaw. "What must be done must be done."

"What should be done," Dr. Wilem stated, "is we should expel him from the program."

"Oh, come now, Wilem," Dr. Tomas disagreed. "Tober's testing has always shown a predilection for the sciences... "

"That's not what I mean, Professor. Maybe he likes science, but he has no compassion. It goes against everything we believe in, everything we teach."

"Yes, Wilem, but Tobie hasn't always been this way."

"Yes, I know. It's terrible what happened to his parents and younger sister."

"He's the only survivor in his family now," Dr. Tomas said. "He, too, would be dead had he not been a student here at Anderson instead. We owe it to his parents and sister to finish his training."

"But his intent, Sir, is vengeance, to kill the enemy."

"Are we certain the injuries were definitely made on purpose? Could they have been honest mistakes?"

"Oh, this was no accident, Professor," Wilem affirmed. "That boy's got a deep-seeded hatred in his heart. I'm telling you, he's a time-bomb. We should dismiss him before something else happens that we regret."

"It's never an easy decision, Wilem. It's complicated. It takes time for people to heal, to forgive."

"Perhaps, but he's a senior, about to graduate! We don't have time for him to work past his anger. How is he supposed to represent Anderson after graduation? He jeopardizes the Center, all the people living and working here, and everything we are trying to do!"

"Pain from the loss of loved ones never goes away. Thus, our work with the students does not end with graduation. We must always be resources for them, beyond their training. Lifelong, even."

"How can we do that?"

"The same way we should approach our enemies -- with support and understanding. Being good examples of peace and compassion."

"Peace is a pipe dream, Professor," Dr. Wilem muttered.

"Don't give up hope, Wilem," Dr. Tomas eased. "In order to achieve peace with our enemies, we must also learn how to forgive our fellow man."

Dr. Wilem bit his lower lip.

"I promise, I will talk to Tober," Dr. Tomas said. "I cannot give up on him."

Dr. Wilem nodded quietly.

"You're right, Dr. Tomas. Forgive me."

Dr. Tomas wore a grim expression. He put his arm around Dr. Wilem's shoulder. "Peace was never meant to be easy, Wil."

Dr. Wilem took another deep breath, but remembered something else. He changed topics.

"Professor, what did you think about the new student? Alessandro?"

"Who? Berman's new apprentice?" Dr. Tomas tried to recollect. "Oh, I don't know. He seems fine enough. I haven't had a chance to talk to the old man yet. We don't usually pick up students mid-cycle, but Berman said he would explain everything at the next meeting."

"Yes," Dr. Wilem recalled. "I suppose he has earned that benefit of doubt."

Wilem was silent. He pulled at his jaw, gritted his teeth and shook his head lightly.

"You know, Alessandro saved our blue-green friend here," he said, pointing to the dragon.

"Yes, I suppose he did," Dr. Tomas agreed. "Why? What are you thinking?"

"Well," Dr. Wilem said, "the boy did not want to handle a gun for some reason. I presumed it was because he didn't know how to use the weapon, but when Tober shot his firearm, Alessandro knew exactly what the problem was — he knew it'd been set at too high a power."

"Interesting," Dr. Tomas remarked. "You think there's something more to the story there?"

"I do. You don't just add an apprentice halfway through the year, especially when the student has never gone through the program. And yet, this kid was familiar with the firearm. He disarmed a senior!"

"Perhaps it's another charity case? Maybe Dr. Berman owes a debt to another friend?" Dr. Tomas guessed. "But, what does it matter? He did save the dragon."

"I know, but who is he? Who is Alessandro?" Wilem questioned. "Dr. Berman has some explaining to do."

Hello Everybody!  Next up: A major turning point in the story... Read on!