Rivaled By Its Actual Danger

"We can't be out here too long," Mimi cautioned.

She stood at the back door of the Science Center, holding a multiphase scanner at the level of her hips. She turned a half-circle, sweeping the nearby grounds and analyzing every direction. The campus, of course, was clear. No predators. No surprises. Mimi had anticipated as much. An electrical current and audio pitch at the perimeter of the grounds had ensured that. And yet, a brief sunset windchill made Mimi shudder. She stopped and glanced at her wristcom.

"It's getting late," she said.

"I understand," Elliott replied. He shifted his stance inside the small exitway, awaiting the clearance to move. His chest tightened. He clenched his jaw, and glanced back at his friend Alessandro, who was following close behind.

"It's not an ideal time to do this," Mimi fretted. "It took you nom-nuts too long to prepare! There are curfew limits! With only a half-day's notice, at least you should have been ready to go!"

Elliot stared at his feet as he squirmed in his boots.

Generally, supervision was a simple task, but monitoring Elliot and Alessandro was like babysitting two children, Mimi thought. It was a miracle the pair could organize themselves enough to go outside.

"I'm sorry, Mimi," Elliot said. "I know you're taking a risk -- "

"It's not like we're going off-campus or anything," the female officer cut in, "but the outer defense is not without its weaknesses."

"I understand."

"You can't take this stuff lightly, Elliot. People get killed out here, okay? Don't screw around. Otherwise, I'm gonna end this little tea party of yours."

With that, the female HP officer stepped out into the open, followed by her two male counterparts.

Alessandro raised his eyebrows.

"Whoa!"

Compared to the dull scenery inside, the Outside World was a kaleidoscope of lively colors. The sky was a bright combination of orange and red, the sun setting over the western horizon. In its place, a pale yellow moon shone brightly above; a subtle nightlight to the local range. Behind it, a sea of stars flowed in a swell of nighttime darkness.

Alessandro gasped.

The panoramic surroundings extended far beyond his forgotten memories -- long, golden prairie fields, a majestic evergreen forest, and a series of snow-capped mountains in the distance. Even in the twilight hours, it wasn't difficult to appreciate the beautiful scenery. Glorious. So lovely, its natural allure was rivaled only by its actual danger.

Alessandro closed his eyes and threw his head back. He stretched out his arms and thrust out his chest. "Ha-ha!" he exclaimed. He glanced back at Elliot and Mimi, and smiled widely. He looked to his hands and fingers. "I feel tingly all over!"

On the ground, at his right foot, the strange boy noticed something else. Something bright-colored. A single yellow flower, blossoming near his great toe. He bent down and ran his fingertips over the delicate petals.

"When we see the miracle of a flower, our whole lives change," Alessandro recited.

Mimi flashed a look at Elliot, but he too, seemed preoccupied with the tapestry of the land. Mimi stepped closer, but Elliot did not notice the pretty flower standing next to him.

"Your friend acts like he's never seen the world before," Mimi spoke up.

"Uh yeah, you could probably say that," Elliot replied.

"Which county is he from, again?"

"Umm, south, I think? I'm not sure."

Mimi shook her head. "You know, Elliot, you're a terrible liar."