Tough First Course

The young female tarragon was a beautiful specimen of a dragon; long thin neck, majestic black wings, and an elegant, flowing tail that was decorated with spikes and fins at its end. Sleek and strong, the beast had smooth reptilian skin; so flawless, her green-blue scales glinted like gold in the light. Upon her head, a fringe of spiny horns flowed in a backward sort of way, as if blown by the wind, striking in appearance. She held her head regally, as if wearing a crown, which would have been appropriate had she not also been chained at her neck and spine as well.

Lying on her side, the young tarragon held one of her wings out in limp display. The flaccid piece was folded halfway onto itself -- fractured -- which meant she could neither fly nor escape. As such, the young dragon moved in a slow and deliberate way, as if avoiding pain or conserving energy for a more concerted effort. She pushed a hind leg underneath herself to ease the pressure off of her broken wing.

Unwittingly, the loose wing heaved forward.

Shhhrrrkkkk!! Aaarrrkkkk!!!

The tired, helpless beast sank deeper into resignation. Trembling lightly, she looked about her unfamiliar surroundings. Through the darkness, she made out the enclosures of a wide and elongated space bordered by grey, stained concrete walls. Solid structures, which matched the integrity of her chains. She turned to inspect the links, only to feel a vibration at her neck; strong, loud and searing at a certain distance; punctuating that noise in the background, that humming, that buzzcutting. She noticed spackles of electricity in the air on an invisible plane -- evidence that a laser matrix was being used. Tension on a live wire.

An abrupt metal clanking occurred. An entrance at the far end of the space opened, and a small contingent of humans quietly entered the room. Led by Dr. Tomas and his senior resident Tober, the orthopedic class brought in a convoy of rolling, equipment carts. Dr. Wilem, another instructor and former pupil of Dr. Tomas, was the guest lecturer for the day. Among the students in attendance were Lucuz, Tewyn and a new student at Anderson Science Center named Alessandro.

"What a magnificent animal!" Dr. Tomas remarked. "So wondrous, don't you think, boys and girls?"

Alessandro, in his first lecture course, was wide- eyed and spellbound, gawking at the very size and existence of the dragon.

"Alessandro, my pathologic friend, what're you doing here?" Lucuz asked in a low voice. He and Tewyn had recognized Elliot's friend from lunchtime the other day. "Isn't this class for juniors and seniors only? You're definitely someone's gottle, aren't you?"

Alessandro flashed a quizzical look.

"It means you've got connections," Tewyn explained, "since it's only your first trimester."

"Remember, students," Dr. Wilem lectured aloud, "the animal here is afraid for her life. Move slowly and calmly. No sudden or threatening movements. We don't want to scare her. She needs to know that we aren't going to hurt her. Everyone understand?"

"If we are to make peace with the animals someday," Dr. Tomas added, "we must earn their trust. They must understand we do not mean them any harm."

Off to the side, Tober stood with his arms crossed over his chest. He turned from the teaching group and rolled his eyes. Thereafter, he looked at the individual students to see if any of them had noticed him do so.

Alessandro, though, was preoccupied with the tarragon and her fracture. He crouched down and looked into the eyes of the injured animal. He followed each of the chain links that held the flying lizard down to their secure ends. He wrapped his arms around himself and shivered.

Aaarrrkkkk!!!

"So, what do we know about the animal's injury?" Dr. Wilem questioned.

The members of the small study group looked at one another.