A Dividing Line Drawn

Hey, people! Fellow creatures! Ha-ha! So welcome to the next chapter of this journey we call "Creatures of God." Thank you for joining me. This latest re-write of a chapter is dedicated to @RavenRock67. We all need inspiration, and sometimes it can come out of nowhere when you least expect it. Thanks, Raven!

"I have some good news," Elliot began. "The quarantine period is over, and now Dr. Berman would like to integrate you into our science community."

Elliot waited to catch Alessandro's reaction.

Instead, the boy from Earth's past said nothing. As with other times before, Alessandro sat in a familiar room on a familiar metal table in a familiar cross-legged position. This time however, something was different. The boy sat in his usual position, but was stiff and rigid, his arms plastered into the tops of his knees. His head and neck strained. His forehead was covered in a fine layer of sweat. The boy gritted his teeth and breathed in an irregular way.

Elliot shifted in his stance.

"We'll, uh... we'll introduce you as a new pathology apprentice," Elliot continued. "In this way, you'll be associated with the Professor and I, and yet, still get the opportunity to meet other people, other students."

Alessandro's face grimaced.

Elliot frowned.

"I thought you'd be happy to hear the news. I thought you'd want to get out of the lab."

Alessandro turned his head away.

"I guess you're already doing that..." Elliot admitted.

The conversation stalled.

"Is something the matter?" Elliot asked. "Did the Professor find out you've been sneaking out of the lab?"

Alessandro's eyes flashed blue.

"I mean, I haven't said anything," Elliot said, "if that's what you're thinking. I mean, you don't have to worry about that."

Aless breathed deep and steadily.

"Did I do something?" Elliot said. He paused.

Alessandro still said nothing.

Elliot was reflective. "You know, I'm a lot like you, he said after a moment. "I mean, because I know what it's like to be alone, abandoned, maybe even by your parents, or by people whom you thought were friends."

Alessandro held still.

"Are you worried about meeting the other kids here?" Elliot inquired. "About fitting in? About feeling normal?"

Normal? Alessandro thought.

Elliot's words finally caught attention.

Am I not normal?

"What happened yesterday?" Elliot asked.

No, I am not.

"When I introduced you to Mimi," Elliot continued, "you didn't say anything."

Alessandro looked at Elliot directly. "You asked me not to say anything."

"Wha--? I told you not to tell her you were from a time capsule, not to jump off a table and attack her!"

"That's not what happened. I sensed her imbalance and caught her as she fell."

Elliot paused. "You scared her!"

"No, she was not scared of me."

"She tried to punch you!"

Alessandro acquiesced. "I am sorry, Elliot. I did not mean to startle her."