The Romans Tried to be Nice

Hello Everyone! Thanks for reading, voting and sharing my little story. I can't express how much I really appreciate the interest. 

This edited chapter is dedicated to Liszanna, who has been a recent inspiration in my re-working. Thank you!

"What are you talking about!" the loud and deep voice said.

A senior orthopedics resident named Tober had spoken up. He was a tall, muscular guy with a messy, blond hair-top. He had been sitting nearby when he overheard Elliot's defense of the Center's philosophy. Standing up, Tober's imposing figure stood out; his chest was broad like a board, and his thick hands naturally curled up into fists.

"I think the program's worthwhile," Tewyn spoke out.

"Worthwhile?" Tober questioned. "Why? Because you're friends with some birds and rodents? Those relationships aren't real! There isn't any real communication there! Animals are only instinctual. They're only looking for a way to survive. They don't really think or reason, not like you and me."

"That's not true," Elliot corrected. "The animals can think. They do communicate. We're still learning how to understand them better."

"We shouldn't be helping them at all," Tober opined. "Our 'charity' work here hasn't changed relations at all. People are still getting killed by the animals every day."

"That's not true," Elliot contradicted. He looked at the junior students who were watching with large, looming eyes. "Not all animals are killers. If our only interaction is revenge and violence, we will never have meaningful relations."

Tober's jaw dropped open. "Come on, Elle! What're you doing? You're talking like you're still trying to get that fall appointment. Give it up! You can't fucking change animal behavior! They can't be taught to be nice! What about all the bombing that goes on around here? Where's the love in that? You don't deal with all the injuries and deaths that I see every day!"

"Actually, Tober," Elliot responded, "I do see them. I see their injuries and deaths every day."

Tober chuckled.

"Ah, yeah, that's right. I forgot. You fucking deal with dead people and dead animals all day. You really do know how to relate to them."

The cafeteria began to fall quiet.

"So, what did those animals say after they killed my parents? Hmm? After they killed my kid sister? She didn't deserve to die."

"Animals understand when we're caring for them," Elliot responded, "when we're treating them, with respect and dignity... "

"Is that what you tell yourself when you're doing those autopsies? Keep fucking lying to yourself."

Elliot could not respond.

"Orphans like you do that," Tober continued. "Lie to themselves. That's why you're so fucking perfect for this place. You perpetuate its lies. Everyone knows peace with the animals won't ever happen. Truth is, your own parents were probably killed by the animals."

The listening crowd was silent.

"Why do we waste valuable supplies on the animals?" Tober spoke to the crowd. "Medicines, blood units, bandages! There's never enough for our own kind! And yet, they're the ones hunting us, killing us! Soon we'll be the extinct species!"

There was a murmuring from the crowd.

Elliot noticed the other students. Some of them were angry, threatening, all around him, as if he were surrounded at a cage match, everyone against him.

Then, Elliot caught a look from Alessandro, who was also in the crowd. His face was calm and relaxed; support in the face of adversity. He nodded encouragingly.

"Tober, our purpose is to treat every creature with love," Elliot said, "as a manifestation of God's will."

Tober's mouth was maximally opened. "What the hell is that? Manifestation of God's will? There is no such thing as God, you fucking idiot! He doesn't exist! This is a science facility!"

"So, why are you still here?" Tewyn fought back. "If you're so smart, why are you even sticking around to graduate? Why don't you just leave already?"

Tober took a step toward the outspoken student, only for Elliot to step in front.

Tober smirked. He laughed as he gave Elliot an up-and-down glance. Clearly, Tober was the bigger, taller and stronger man.

"You think I want to be here?" Tober snarled. "Hell, as soon as I get out, I'm joining the Human Protection Unit. No one minds when they're killing animals!"

"That's not true," Elliot pointed out. "HP officers aren't supposed to attack. They're only supposed to protect."

"Come on, Elliot! Nobody follows such a rule!"

"It is true. It's part of the Center's agreement with the HPU to provide technical support."

Tober shook his head in disagreement. "Just remember, ancient Rome fell because the Romans tried to be nice to a bunch of barbarians."

"No," Elliot countered, "Rome fell because of greed and corruption, and its reliance on slavery."

"You think you're so smart," Tober sneered. "Well, you can stay here after graduation. As soon as I get out, I'm celebrating with all the girls."

Tober recognized a familiar face in the crowd.

"Hey, isn't that right, Fara?" He called out to the well known, senior student.

People turned to look, but Fara quickly ducked and turned to exit.

"Ha-ha!" Tober laughed. "Come on, baby! Where're ya going? Ha-ha!"

A small group of students hollered.

"Hey, I know! I know!" Tober snorted. "How about that cute, little HP pixie?"

Elliot knew exactly to whom Tober referred.

"You stay away from Mimi!"

"Ho-ho! Now I've got your attention, don't I? Ha-ha! Don't like me dating your little sister?"

"She's not my sister."

"Ewww, even better! Ha-ha! I'll be corking your girlfriend while you're reading the instruction manual!"

Elliot began to clench his fists. He stepped forward.

"You take that back!"

"Watch it, little boy," Tober responded now with a more steely voice. "Or you're gonna get corked yourself."

Elliot launched into a full roundhouse. But before he could swing, a solid punch hammered him smack-square in the face.

The next thing Elliot knew, he was lying on the ground, leaking blood from his nose. A hazy scene of indistinct voices surrounded him. Then, a more familiar voice helped him to a sitting position.

"Repel evil with that which is better."

Elliot's shoulders relaxed. He took an easy, deep breath. His vision seemed to clear, and he looked to find Alessandro crouched next to him.

"That's what you get, Elliot," Tober said in the background.

Alessandro helped Elliot to his feet. The injured resident touched his face lightly and checked his hand for blood. The two friends began to walk away from the winless debate.

"That's right!" Tober called out. "Get back to that instruction manual!"

A few of the other students laughed at the final barb.

Elliot gave one last parting look. A fight was the last thing he and Alessandro needed right now. It would only bring more forethought to Alessandro's introduction to the Center.

Tober would win this battle, for now.

Ta-da! Did you like that chapter? Do you like the character of Tober? I hope so! Let me know what you think! Keep the encouragement coming!