Chapter 39 ~ So We Meet Again.

((When Nigh Becomes Day by Finish Ticket ))

Court day. The day I had been dreading. The day I will have to be, once again, in the same room as Jace. I had feared that I would have to testify in court, but thankfully they feel like there is enough evidence so I do not have to. Because I am not testifying, I do not technically have to be present in the courtroom, but everyone thinks I need closure with the whole thing. Basically, I got peer pressured into attending the hearing. Yay.

So here I am, three hours before, putting on some light make up. I put on a black skirt and light pink blouse to keep things simple. I check my phone to see if I have any texts or missed calls from when I was getting ready. I notice a small good luck note from Sydney as well as one from my brother.

Wait.

My brother? How does Shane know about the trial today? I haven't told anyone in my family. In fact, the only people who I told were the boys, Sydney, and the police.

*Shane: Good luck today sis! Put that asshole behind  bars!"

*Me: Thanks bro! How did you find out?*

"Hey Addie, you want to stop at Starbucks?" Luke asks with his head peaked through my door.

I take a deep breath, "Yeah, sure. Can we please go to one out of the city, away from all the people?"

"Of course, love. Be ready in 15?"

"Yup, okay!" Luke leaves me alone in my room again. I honestly don't want to deal with fans or the paparazzi at all today. The police said that everything regarding the case itself should not be out to the public yet. I really hope that stays true. I am not ready to publicly talk about it, nor do I really want people,  fans and hatters, to know. Someday, maybe, but today is definitely not that day.

I grab my purse, check myself in the mirror one last time, and make my way downstairs. Luke is sitting with the boys at the table.

"You ready to go?" Luke questions.

"Yup, let's go." Luke gets up and the boys give me an apathetic look.

Gus greets us outside with a kind smile. We get into the car's backseat and Luke tells Gus that we want to go to a Starbucks in a suburb to reduce the chances of us being seen. Gus starts the car and were off. I check my phone and send a few texts to Sydney about random things, you know, the usual. Shane still hasn't responded to my text and it's only making me wonder more. I guess Sydney could have told him considering their history and such. Which, after how she was acting when she was here in L.A. I am sure it is just that, history.

Luke must have noticed the creases forming on my forehead and takes one of my hands into his, drawing circles into my palm. Nice gesture, but it's making texting slightly more difficult with one hand. Good try Luke.

"Here we are. I'll just stay parked here unless I hear otherwise from you two."

"Thank you Gus!" I say and exit the car.

"Thanks Gussy!" Luke adds. We walk into Starbucks both deciding it's a good day to splurge and get large coolers. I went with caramel and Luke chocolate. We find a table in the corner near the front window. It was a gorgeous day in California today. The weather not too hot or cold and there is a nice breeze.

"Hey Luke?"

"Yeah?"

"Can we take a walk by the beach tonight after the trial and stuff?"

Luke lazily smiles, "Of course Adds."

"Sweet," I smile back.

We continue to have lighthearted conversations without having to deal with any pap or being seen by any fans. Love the fans, but today is just not a good day.

We get back into the car and Gus take us to the City building in which the trial will take place. We are roughly 30 minutes early. Luke and I find our way to the entrance where we are met with one of the boys' bodyguards. He gives us a knowing nod and we follow him into the court room.

"Where do you want to sit?" Luke asks me.

"Maybe in the middle?" I definitely don't want to sit towards the front. The body guard leads us to some seats that are open in the middle. I sit between the body guard and Luke.

"Still got 20 minutes," Luke whispers to in my ear, "still want to do this?"

"Yeah, I think I do need this closure."

"Okay."

We sit in silence for a few moments before I feel a tap on my shoulder from someone behind me. I turn around to face the women who I have been avoiding ever since I left South Dakota.

"Hello dear," she coos.

"Mother?" I say slightly shocked.

"Why, yes. It is me your mother. The one you did not feel it was necessary to tell about your whole trial. What the hell were you thinking Addison Marie?" She raises her voice. This catches the attention of Luke and the bodyguard as well who are now focused on my mother.

"Excuse me? What do you mean what was I thinking?" Luke grabs my hand comfortingly.

Mother lowers her voice in an eerie way, "Why the hell would you go to the police about this?"

"With all do respect Mrs. Gram, why wouldn't she go to the police? Do you even know what happened?" Luke steps in.

"Young man, yes I do. When you're a minor, like Addison, the police are required to inform your guardians (a/n idk how true this is so just go with it)."

Well crap that is why Shane knew. Why did I not think of this sooner. I am so stupid.

"Can we just talk about this after the trial?" I pleed.

"After my own flesh and blood makes a mess of our family name? Heck no. I want you to take back everything you said and let the police know that you were lying about it. All of it."

"Okay, now you're talking crazy," Luke says. Mother rolls her eyes at Luke and returns her focus onto me.

"Addison Marie you know that's what  you need to do. If not for my sake, for your father and grandparents. Just think about what they will think when they find out the details from your case. Just go deny everything you said before. Say you did it for attention and that they should let Jace go."

"Mother, you know I can't do that. He deserves to be behind bars," I fume, "I may have listened to you years ago, but not this time."

"Young lady, yes you will!"

"But mom!"

"No buts!!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woah what? Mrs. Gram is a nut job...  there's some reasoning behind it though....

vote & comment to your hearts desire