Chapter 12: Strong Girl, Stupid Boy

A/N. Hi!!! Sorry I haven't uploaded in a bit. My internet's been down and the stupid AT&T Peopke wont come fix it. :-P. I wrote this on my phone, So I'm sorry if there are a ton of errors!! Thanks so much for your support and such and please do enjoy!!! :-):-):-):-):-):-)

Katie

-----------

The next day proves to be fairly low key. Everyone is content that they've made it this far into the competition, and for now, a feeling of ease lies on everyone. Of course there's always one or two that have to make everything a competition, but even they've mellowed out a bit.

I am thrilled that I've made it past bootcamp, and in just two short weeks, I'll be flown off to the mysterious house of the mysterious judge that will become my mysterious mentor. The meeting gives me my flight information and some tips for the rest of the competition, and that's about it.

I pack up when I get back to the hotel room and say goodbye to Chase and Arriana, and even Mark and the rest of Breakeven, who made it through to the Judges' Houses as well.

The plane ride home is long and lonely. No one from the X Factor is on my return flight, so I just spend time with the back of my eyelids and my iPod.

When I arrive back home, my parents are standing in the airport lobby waiting to pick me up. You'd think that I've been gone for months by the way they greet me when I walk through that gate with the hullaballoo they make.

My mom hugs me as tightly as humanly possible and kisses me on the top of my head about ten times before allowing the other people gathered to greet me. Jen and Bobby are there, so I give them both a giant hug, and while I'm hugging Bobby, he whispers so no one else can hear:

" I kicked his freaking ass. I'm pretty sure he learned his lesson," he chuckles.

I give a bit of a nervous laugh as I begin to dread the inevitible conversation that's bound to occur between Nate and me. And the thing is, it's gonna happen soon because once we're settled in the car, we start out on the 15 minute ride back home.

Only fifteen minutes until I'll be back home and on the same street as Nate. I don't want to talk to him, but I know I need to. I can't be that weak little girl who lets a boy walk all over her. No. I am a strong, independent woman who is a finalist on the X Factor. I'm gonna show him who's boss.

It surprises me that when we're just down the street from my house, I see a tall figure walking down the sidewalk towards my house. He watches his feet as he walks, obviously trying not to meet my eyes.

When my dad pulls the car into the driveway, I sigh before unbuckling my seatbelt to go and get the inevitable conversation over with. After removing the belt and opening the door to get out, Jen whispers a "Good Luck," to me in a way comparable to how Chase and Arriana wished me luck a couple days ago when I was about to go onstage. I guess what I'm about to do now can be comparable to the competition. I need to come out on top of this situation just the same as I came out on top this past week.

He needs to know how I feel about this, and I definitely don't feel like falling back into his arms.

When I get out of the vehicle, I criss my arms over my chest not only for a bit of effect, but also because the MidWest's weather is extremely bipolar and today it just so happens to be only 50 degrees.

I walk the little ways down the sidewalk to where he is, and when I stop in front of him, neither of us speaks for a moment. I hear the car doors closing and my entourage exiting and then entering the house to give me and my soon-to-be ex boyfriend some privacy.

He is the first to speak, "I'm sorry."

"Are you sorry just because Bobby beat your sorry ass or are you genuinely sorry? Because true remorse doesn't exist solely because you got your ass whooped."

"I am sorry, Cass. I don't even know what I was thinking, " He says while looking up a bit, allowing me to notice the bit of a black eye he has presumably from Bobby Saxton's fist.

"You knew what you were thinking. And I think I can help you remember. Umm... Did it go something like 'Girlfriend gone. Sexy Lady. Bikini. Closet. Funky time. Girlfriend will never find out'? Cause if it did, you were wrong. So, so wrong, Nate. And on top of cheating? May I add that you were extremely STUPID for doing that when two of my best friends were right there? Did it also slip your mind that my very good friend Bobby Saxton has a very highly prestieged scholarship to Mizzou for WRESTLING? Did that slip your mind as well? It looks like it did from the looks of that shiner on your eye. I guess you can wear that as a badge of stupidity now."

Nate's face goes red as he scratches the back of his neck nervously. I am just in shock at some of the things I've just said. I don't think I've ever said something sounding so malicious to anyone. I've never imagined words like that coming from my mouth, but they just did, and it felt good to stand up for myself. I love Nate, but what he's done, I can't forgive. At least right now.

Nate doesn't say anything so I simply add, "I think this is over."

"No." He says sternly. "This can't be over!" He adds with a louder tone.

"Do you expect me to just look over the fact that you cheated on me? And how do I know if this wasn't the only time? How can I trust you if I have to be gone for months when I can't even trust you for four days!?" I bring my volume up a notch as well. This whole thing doesn't seem to be going as well and swiftly as I hoped.

Then he can't say anything. He's obviously tongue-tied, and the words are nowhere to be found.

"Goodbye, Nate." I say before turning around, only to be kept in place by a hand on my arm.

"Cassie," He starts, but I cut him off by yanking my arm away.

"Don't call me that, Nate. It's over. Please just leave," I insist as some silent tears begin to spill. I walk away and leave him standing there by himself before he can see how much it pains me to leave him. Even though he's hurt me, I di still love him. But sometimes love isn't enough, and sometimes, you have to put yourself first.

I just did, and now I've won, but why do I feel like I'm more broken than I've ever been?

A/N. So a bit of a darker chapter. So Cassie and Nate are OVER. She is an independent woman though. She'll be alright.

Do thank you so much for reading!!!! Please do comment!!!! Three votes and one comment for tthe next chapter!!!

LOVE YOU SO VERY MUCH!!

Katie