Chapter 6: Fate's Design

A/N:::   I really hope you like this chapter!  It took a long time to write! 

Please pretty please vote for this story!  And comment!  I want some comments, guys!  They make me really happy!!

Katie

The results from today's performances won't be announced until tomorrow morning, so now everyone has time to theselves.  After dinner is finished, I decide to go back to the hotel room so I can skype Jen and Nate.  I'm also pretty tired.  It's been a long day, and there's an hour time difference, so my sleeping schedule is thrown a little off kilter.  Arriana and Chase decide to stay back and have bonding time with the other contestants.  I'll go tomorrow If I make it through, but tonight I'm pooped and wouldn't be much of a fun person to be around.

When I arrive back at the room,  I walk inside and flop on the bed again.  I get my phone and text Jen:

Skype?

She doesn't reply, but instead I hear my laptop dinging with the sound of a Skype call, and soon I'm connected with my best friend who's halfway across the country.

"Jen!" I start. "I haven't seen you since this morning!"

She begins to fake cry, "I know. I miss you so much.  I haven't seen you in sooo long." We both fake cry like the idiots we are for a few minutes.

But then I mention the "crisis," " So what's with this "crisis" you wanted to tell me about?  Is it bad?"

Jen's face drops for a moment.  Apparently something is very, very, very wrong.

"What is it?" I ask, getting a bit more worried.  "Is someone hurt?  Are you pregnant?  Don't tell me I need to go cut off Bobby's man-junk...  I'll do it, but it won't be pleas-"\

"No, I'm not pregnant, Cass.  Lord...  Don't even make me picture that... Can you imagine?"  The look on her face is of utter horror.  "But are you sitting down?"

"You can see me, Jen.  I'm sitting down." That idiot. We're on Skype!

"Sorry.. I'm just used to asking that when I'm breaking news to someone."

I'm at the point of wanting to pull my hair out now.  Can she just tell me and get it over with?  "Just tell me, Jen.  It's like taking off a Band-Aid.  You just have to do it.  Now what is it?"

"Ummm..." She bites her lip, trying to figure out a way to tell me whatever it is.  Then she takes a deep breath and starts to speak a million miles a minute:

"So this afternoon a bunch of people went to the pool, right?  And I went, and Bobby went, and Nate went, and well.... Melanie went.... and-"

I butt in, "Melanie!? What was she doing there?  Don't tell me it's going where I think it's going..."

"I'm sorry, Cass.  I really am.  I tried to talk some sense into him, but there was a broom closet and he's a boy and she was wearing a bikini and well... you probably know what happens."  I can tell that it pains her to say this. Melanie was, for lack of a less derogatory term, a slut.  She made it well known too.  She's been with countless guys, including both Bobby and Nate.  I think she went out with Bobby for a week or two during freshman year, and then she and Nate fooled around at the end of sophomore year.  I guess he never really did get over her. 

Tears spring up to my eyes, and I try to hide them, but Jen notices.  "I'm so sorry, Cass.  I am truly sorry." I sniffle, and I honestly am shocked. "I thought he loved me. God... and with Melanie? Of all people!  Do you remember when she filled my locker with jello boxes in eighth grade?  And then she absolutely ruined my art project in tenth grade.  She's terrible..."