Chapter 4: Support System

A/N::    Hi!  I really hope you're liking this story!

I hate doing this, but I think it's necessary.  I need at least one vote on this chapter and all the other chapters before I continue.  I just really want to know that people like it and are reading it. 

I have gotten 13 reads in less than 24 hours though, and that's amazing. 

So please please please vote!

I also dedicate to my favorite comment, so keep that in mind too!

Soooooo, without further adieu, chapter 4!!

I can see that Arriana and Chase are having just a bit of a moment, but we need to get going... We're already the last ones off of the bus, and we really can't afford to annoy people.  If we're branded as "the annoying ones who couldn't care less," well, we'll be out before you can say Hollywood. 

I pull on Ari's arm which startles her a bit, but it brings her back to her senses.  The two of us scamper off the bus with Chase right behind us.  When we hit the concrete of the walkway that leads up to the front door, a middle-aged man hands us each a sticker with our name and a number on it.  I'm number 23, Ari's number 19, and Chase is 25.

The flock of contestants is nearing the doors by now, so the three of us brake into a run to catch up with all of them.   We reach the back of the pack without any mishaps, and soon we're inside, and being ushered into rows and rows of seats.  It looks like there are about two hundred people, excluding the parents of the minors.

At this point, I'm really missing my parents.  This is the first time I've been away from home by myself.  Of course in the past I've gone on sleepovers and little weekend trips with Jen's family, but that wasn't like this.  They were familiar whereas this is just strange and odd and frightening.  I'm so excited and ready to give this my best shot, but right now, I kind of just feel like a six-year-old who just wants to hold her mom's hand.

I let out an audible sigh, which causes Arriana to turn to me and inquire, "What's wrong?"

"Just really nervous.  Missing home and stuff," I reply

Chase, who is sitting on the other side of Arianna jumps in, "It'll get better.  Being away from home's tough, but you get used to it."

"Have you been through all of this before?"

"Yeah, actually.  This is my third attempt at this.  I auditioned for the first season and second season, and I never made it past bootcamp.  But here I am again.  They haven't seen the last of Chase Weller!"

Arriana smiles at him, and I thank him for his bit of encouragement and say, "Well maybe the three of us will get through and be the top competitors on the live shows."

Ari:" Stranger things have happened."

With this last line from Arriana, a man walks out on the stage in front of us with a microphone. 

He taps the microphone and an earsplitting squeal comes from every speaker in the room.  Everyone moves their hands up to cover their ears as the sound begins to die down.  Idiot.

He begins speaking when the sound is gone," Sorry!  Sorry," 

Everyone mutters about the sound, but it begins to die as the man continues. 

"I'm Stan Marshall, and I'm the executive producer for this year's competition.  I'd just like to wish you all the best of luck, and I'd like to let you know that in about two hours' time, you will all be expected to have a song chosen from this list of about two hundred songs.  At that time, you will perform it for not only the judges, but your peers, and it will be a capella.   I know this is short notice, but that's the point of this competition.  We're trying to see how well everyone performs under pressure, and here we will root out about 100 people who will not be going on to tomorrow's leg of the competition.  Again.  I wish you the best of luck, and get singing."

The man switches off the microphone and walks offstage.  Then, ushers come and hand everyone a copy of the list of songs, which I begin to delve into right away.  I need to choose my song quickly so I can go find a corner to practice in. 

I use my finger to help me scroll down the list of songs and artists, when I come to something perfect.  Most people wouldn't go for this song, but I think I should give it a shot-  maybe make myself stand out a bit.

Ari and Chase find their songs too, and soon we're all off to one of the many practice rooms where we can all warm up and hope for the best. 

Throughout the practice period, Chase, Arriana, and I stick together.  I don't really want to get to attatched to anyone, but these two seem to be real friend material, and I think everyone needs some support through this whole experience.  The three of us are here on our own, so why not band together?  Well, there are a few reasons not to, like the fact that one of us may get sent home within the next few hours.  Aside from that reason, though, the good definitely outweighs the bad. 

About a half hour into practicing, a girl who looks to be about my age walks into the room.  Her hair is blond, and she has the most devious little smile on her face.  It almost looks as if she's a predator on the prowl for her prey.  She looks downright evil, as well as a bit familiar.

I try to get back to my song, and when I begin singing over one part that's a bit tricky for me, I finally hit the notes correctly.  Arriana obviously heard, and she starts up a little one person applause.  I jokingly bow.

"Nice!" she comments.

"Thanks."

The girl who just walked in looks at me and scoffs before she goes and begins crooning out some Katy Perry song.  Then I remember where I've seen her before.  She was the girl who seemed to have some opinion about me right before my very first audition. 

--------------------

Now it's performance time, and these people are fantastic, and I've reverted back to an old habit of nailbiting within this past half hour of watching performances. There's no way I'll get through.

God is pretty awesome to bestow all of us with these voices, but some of these people... It's a wonder that they haven't been discovered.  Of course, some twelve-year-olds haven't really had the chance to get discovered yet.  They're too young, and they haven't even started high school yet, let alone had the chance to search for a record deal. 

This one 12 year old named Mary Katherine Jenkins, she makes me cry.  She's not mean or nasty or anything of that nature, but boy can she sing.  She sings a rendition of "Halo" by Beyonce, and I don't think there is one person in that room who isn't in awe.  Most everyone doesn't believe that a voice like that came out of that little girl. 

Then 14 year old boy named Connor Mark sang this country song and it was so cute. 

Then some others sang, and they were amazing as well.  The performances were going in consecutive number order, and soon enough they were on number 17, and Arriana had to head backstage to get set up to go for her turn in a few minutes.

When she leaves, Chase scoots next to me in Arriana's place and leans toward my ear and asks, "Ya think she likes me?"

I reply, "You know, I've known her for about the same amount of time that you have.  I really know nothing about her, bud."

He sulks back in his seat defeated.  But then I say, "But if I could bet on something, it'd probably be that you two will be like, the "it" couple of the season.  I think she likes you."

"Really?"

I nod my head as act 18 ends, and Arriana's turn begins.  Chase's eyes are glued to the stage as she walks on and waves at the audience and the judges.

Before she begins, the judges give a few comments.  Kelly says, "I remember you! Arriana, right?"

Ari nods happily before introducing her song.  "I'll be singing 'Ain't No Other Man' by Christina Aguilera."

Then she begins singing, and I swear, Chase's eyes are about to pop right out of his head.