Frenemies?

This is more of a filler chapter, and I will try to update on Valentine's day but I don't know if I'll have time. Thanks for reading this part though!

Chapter 48:

ZAYN

I sat in silence, just listening to the other lads have their conversations. Louis and Harry were debating on which food was better- pizza or nachos, and Liam and Niall were talking about some TV show they apparently watched together this weekend.

I sighed, feeling like such a fifth wheel. Yes, I was talking to someone, that someone being that Perrie girl I told Niall about on the first day of school, but it sucked when I found out she had a boyfriend and only saw me as a friend. I guess I just looked too closely at every gesture she made. Bummed doesn't even begin to express how I feel about that.

I was glad that the guys were so happy in their relationships, but it was boring to constantly just sit with your thoughts as they spoke to the person they were so fond of. I really needed to find someone. Perferrably a nice girl with blonde hair. Get over it, Zayn! I scolded myself.

I looked up as Nathan sat next to me. He was still pretty new to our circle of friends, and, to be honest, I still had no idea on if I could trust him. Liam might, but he was already so sweet to everyone.

Niall certainly didn't. I could tell because everytime he was around his hold on Liam would tighten. He was so very possessive that one. Not that I would blame him. Nathan did make a move on Liam twice.

Harry seemed to also start to trust Nathan, but he was also very sweet. Everytime he would talk to him, Louis would instantly interrupt. I don't blame him for being cautious either because he hurt his best friend and almost ruined his relationship.

"Enjoying the voices in your head, Zayn?" He asked, and I only shrugged. I don't really talk to him, and I don't plan on starting now. Hey, I still really wanted to punch the guy square in the face for what he did. Doesn't make me a bad person, just a good friend.

"Ignoring me?" He questioned, and I made no move at replying this time. I picked up my phone and pretended to be on it, so he would get the hint to shut the fuck up. Sadly, it only made him continue.

"Oh. Are you bust texting your little girly friend still? Are you taking her on a date anytime soon?" He asked, and he was really getting on my nerves. "I see, Zayn. Love it up, man."

I sighed and set my phone down as I said "She has a boyfriend." He looked at me in surprise, and I just looked away. Great, now he'll never shut up. Why did I have to talk at all? I'm good at being quiet!

"Oh. That sucks. How'd you find out?" He asked, and I wanted to yell at him to shut up, but I just settled for a simple "Why does that matter?" He shrugged, and I just decided to tell him.

"She sent me a picture of them together while they were at like a duck pond or something. I told her it was cool." I said, pretending like it was no big deal when it actually really hurt me to see her with someone else when I really liked her.

"It's okay if it hurts, Zayn. You're only human and we tend to hace the feeling of pain a lot." He said, and that just reminded me that he was a jackass before he sat with us, and that was why I never wanted to talk to him. He was a fucking smart aleck, and I hated him right now.

"You don't know me." I growled, looking down at my phone. Was it stupid to wish that she texted me right now and said she dumped her boyfriend for me? Great, now I sounded like a lovesick person when it wasn't even love to begin with- just a crush.

"Yeah, I don't know you, but I know how it feels to see someone you like completely infatuated by another person. I see it everyday I sit here with you guys." He said as both of our eyes drifted over to Niall and Liam. Niall was trying to feed Liam something and he kept laughing and objecting it, but Niall would try again and again. They were both laughing and seemed so happy. It made me smile, but I saw the longing look in Nathan's eyes. He really did like Liam, but you can't seperate love.

"So, why do you still sit here if it hurts you everyday?" I asked him, completely curious. He slowly peeled his eyes off of Liam, and I saw that Niall leaned in and kiss him, both breaking away with goofy grins.

"Because I promised to be a good friend. And I do want to be his friend. I want to truly prove I am sorry. I want to fix everything I've done, but I can't. Maybe it's a punishment? I don't know, but he is in love with Niall. I can see that. Which means he isn't my soul mate, but whoever is has to be out there somewhere. Yes, it hurts to see them kiss and stuff, but Liam isn't, wasn't, and will probably never be mine. Face the facts." He said.

Okay, maybe I judged his character too quickly. I guess I could give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's actually changed. Still, I wouldn't let my guard down just because of this one little thing he seemed to be helping me out with.

"So what you're saying is that this girl may not be my soulmate but I could find her somewhere out there?" I asked, and he chuckled a bit before shrugging.

"I really wasn't saying anything. You sort of just figured that out yourself, but it is true. You should continue to try and find this girl that will make you so happy, you'll be satisfied in life. Just never give up searching.

Who knew the asshole could be so helpful? I looked at Liam and Niall and Louis and Harry and knew that I wanted that. I wanted someone who was completely into me just like they were into each other. So I can't give up.

It pained me to say it, but I put on my kind smile and said "Thanks, Nathan." He gave me a smug grin, and just to wipe it off his face I said "Doesn't mean I like you at all. Still won't hesitate to beat you up if you hurt my friends again."

His smile went away as the bell rang. I got up and left the table. Keep it cool, Zayn.