Amends

Chapter 40:

LIAM

School was very uneventful all day. Ever since getting here I've just been wanting to go home or spend all my time with Niall because, let's face it, he's all I ever think about. This class was my last one, and it was the most uneventful. It was an advanced Chemistry class, and I understood it all, which made it too easy. I hardly ever paid attention anyways.

Right now we were taking notes, but I was more doodling in the margins of my notebook, just hoping for the bell to ring. Everyone's heads turned to the door when it was pushed open. I also looked, but immediately dropped my gaze as I made eye contact with Nathan. What was he doing here?

"Excuse me, who are you?" The teacher asked, setting her piece of chalk down and walking over to him. He dug in his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper, handing it over to her. I watched as she read over it before nodding.

"Nice to have you join the class, Nathan. We will be doing a lab next class, so you will need a lab partner. The tables available are by Molly," she pointed to a girl in the far corner of the room," Dustin," She pointed to a boy that sat by the window, "And Liam." I froze as she pointed to me. I was hoping he wouldn't pick me, but I should have known otherwise.

"I think the front seat is the best option." He said, flashing her a sincere looking smile. Yes, I might have forgiven Nathan, but I was still so unsure on if I should trust him or not. He could just totally screw me over. He's lied before, and I'm sure he'd have no problem doing it again.

"Excellent. A student who wants to get into the work. You may have a seat and take out some paper for notes." He nodded and she handed the paper, which I guess was his new schedule, back to him. He walked over to me and sat down, and I scooted away an inch.

"Why are you in this class?" I whispered, trying not to get into any trouble for talking, but I wanted to know. It's not everyday that someone moves from a regular science class straight into an advanced one.

"I changed my classes. I'm not dumb you know. I took regular classes because they were with Matt, but now that he's kind of... not my friend... I decided to finally change my classes." He said as he began to write what was on the board. Okay, that explained that, but I still wasn't so sure I was confortable around him yet.

"How are you and Niall?" He asked me, and I stopped writing, looking over at him with one eyebrow raised up. He looked at me and chuckled a bit at my expression. I had no clue what was so funny.

"Liam, when I said that I was sorry and wanted to be friends, I meant it. I'll stay out of the way of you and Niall. I can tell you two mean a lot to each other. Does it hurt? Yes. But I'll get over it eventually." He said before he began writing again. I still sat there, a bit shocked at his words.

"O...kay?" I said, still feeling unsure. "We're fine. Actually, we're really good right now. I feel like a lot of the things we were fighting against are working out now. It's nice to not have to worry about things for a change." I said. And it was nice. It was absolutely amazing to just let go of the troubles and doubts and show Niall how much he means to me.

"That's good. Sorry again for all the trouble I caused. I was just being stupid and thinking that you would ever like me the way I like you. I know I made your life hell. I'm really glad you all forgave me though. I don't exactly think anyone is ready to actually be friends with me yet. I get it. I was a horrible person, but I won't stop trying to amend things." He said, finishing the notes and setting his pencil down.

"It'll take time, of course, but the guys are all amazing people. Harry'll probably be the first to fully accept you. He's a very sweet person. Just don't take advantage of his kindness. Even if you did, you'd have Louis to deal with. They're a thing now- dating- and they're pretty happy. Zayn will be a bit tougher, but he will eventually warm up to you. You'll know because he'll tall more around you. Louis is very sassy and fiesty. He's been my best friend for such a long time, and getting through to him will be one hell of a challenge. And Niall, well I think you understand how hard that will be." I said, and he chuckled.

"Yeah. I'm just surprised he hasn't kicked my ass for the things I've done. I really am sorry though." He said, and I nodded. "Okay." then the bell rang and we both stood up, shoving things into our bags before Nathan tapped my shoulder. I turned to him and he smiled at me. "I really hope we can be friends, Liam."

"Yeah." I said with a small nod of my head. He then pat my shoulder before he turned and walked away. I stood there for a second, surprised at how that conversation went. It didn't go bad at all. Maybe I can give him a chance to be a friend. He seemed genuine enough.

I walked out of the classroom and was making my way out of the front door and a hand grabbed mine, and I was spun around. I smiled as I saw Niall. "Hey, Liam." He said, pressing a small kiss to my nose. He was so adorable.

"Hey, Niall." I said. He walked out of the door to the school with me and said "Wanna come over today? I really want you to meet my mum." He said.

"But I have met your mum before." I said. We all met her during the sleepover he had. I remember how we were just friends back then, when the whole world knows I wanted to be so much more than his friend.

"Yes. But as my friend. Not as my boyfriend." He said, swinging out hands back and forth as we walked down the sidewalk.

"But, didn't you say that your mum thought I would just use you. You said she didn't believe that I loved you and-" I stopped talking as he turned me to him and kissed me to shut me up.

"You talk too much." He said with a small smile. I could see that he was nervous about this. It showed in his eyes, but he said "I'm hoping that meeting you will change her mind and help her see how much we truly care for each other. You don't have to meet her if you don't want to, I just-"

"No, I'd love to meet her. Hopefully she'll see just how much I care for you because I really do, Niall. I love you." I said, feeling the blush work its way to my cheeks. He smirked at me and said "I love sappy Liam. I love you, too."

We shared a small kiss before Niall said "Now let's go to my house. My mum should be home soon." We started walking some more and the nerves were building up inside of me, but it didn't seem so intimidating as Niall never let go of my hand.