Chapter Seventeen

Eather's P.O.V

As soon as I turned my back to leave Duke behind I feel my stomach turn and I felt like running back to him and jumping into his arms. "Goodbye Duke." I said over my shoulder. I didn't even want to see his face. It was probably cover with hurt and I felt guilty of what I was doing but It was for a good reason. 

I fallow the dirt path that was behind the drug store that lead to a small dirt plane. My phone started blaring -Bring me to life by Evanescence- Looking at the caller ID I decide to pick it up letting out a sigh. "Hello." I knew who I was speaking to.

 "Are you at the spot I told you to be." I sigh deeply and answer. 

"Yes I'm here." There was a moment of silence for a moment I guess he was thinking or something. 

"Good. Remember if you try to escape Ill hurt your other family and the boy would get it worse or maybe die very slowly." A tear strayed down my cheek. 

"I know what will happen. Just pick me up already." I was getting restless of waiting.

"Alright. Alright Ill be there in a couple of minutes." I hang up the phone and put it in my pocket. I still don't feel right about going back to my real mom and Gilbert my so called dad. I just feel like if I go back to school I might run into Duke and hurt the both of us. 

After about like five minute later a black Subaru pulled up to the lot. I wanted to run but I had to think about the people I cared about. "Hey boy. Get in." I stood up and walked to the passenger side of the car. Opening up the door I sit down. Putting my bags on my lap trying to get conformable. 

"Can we just hurry and go." He looked at me with a blank face showing no emotion like he didn't even care what I had said.

He turned on the radio and started to drive off. The ride was about ten minutes or longer but it was a good drive. "When we get to the house you call Bettie mom or mommy or what ever you use to call her." I pull out my phone and see 22 messages from Duke. 

We finally pull up to a nice one story house. It had was a light blue color with a nice little garden in the front yard. "Here we are." I pulled a smile onto my face. Getting out I walk along the path with Gilbert on my tale. "You mess this up Ill hurt them got it boy." I nod as he opens the front door and jesters for me to move inside. I take a step inside I awkwardly stand by the entrance of the house. 

"Bettie I have a surprise." Gilbert's voice was gravelly as he yelled out to the women I use to call mom. A women walked out the kitchen shocked at what she had seen. My mother has changed. Her hair was died a sudden ginger and she looked younger than before. I guess she had gave up her drinking and drug habits. 

"Hi." I said trying not to seem even more awkward than I already made it. "You look good. This house is super nice." She smiled at me and hugged me tight. 

"When you left me I felt empty and I cleaned up hoping you would come home. We looked and looked but we couldn't find you so I moved and got a job and just became more happy with my life. I still missed you very much." How could she act like I didn't have a baby sister that she happen to kill.

"I had a sister do you remember her." I couldn't help it. Her face turned from happy to sad real fast. She looked in my eye's searching for something. She soon gave up the search in my eyes and walked to a small couch that was in the living room. She patted the seat next to her. I took the seat and looked down at my feet. "I'm sorry. I just hoped that I could come back and you would still remember her. Now that your clean can I ask you something."

"Yes of course." I nod and look at her.

"What were you thinking when you killed Hazel and just left her body? I don't know if you knew but I took her body to grandma's house and buried her in the back yard next to fluffy." I look at Gilbert who had a shocked expression on his ugly face. "Oh and one more thing is he really my father I mean look at him and I we don't look anything alike." 

She giggled and finally answers my question that I have been wanting to hear for years. "That morning I was honestly on so many thing I couldn't control myself. The anger I had held inside was the only thing that was taking control. I seen the marker in the backyard on nana's house so ya I knew about that. Oh and no Gilbert is not your father your father had died in a car accident with you in the car at 2 months. I loved your dad so  much and I didn't know how to handle what I was feeling and I kinda blamed it on you cause you survived and he didn't. That's why I was so abusive tord's you." I was shocked that the truth was different than I had expected it to be. 

I placed my bags next to my legs and gave my mother a hug. "I'm sorry I left you." Gilbert stood up and walked out the house. "Were is he going?" She just looked at me and smiled. 

"He doesn't live here. After you left. Me and him broke up but he help me keep looking for you and look he succeeded. I'm thankful." She kissed my forehead and showed me my room. I settled down. Then my damn phone range so I got up and took it off it charger. Without looking at the caller ID I picked it up. "Hello." 

"Eather." It was Dukes voice. 

"Is something wrong?" I felt it in my gut that something wasn't right. 

"I'm picking you up."