Chapter 13: A new friend

Start from the beginning

“W-we must be high on somethin’.” We both agreed to this, and after a while stopped laughing, the only remnants of it being a goofy grin. It was only after a while that we realised that the other ranch hands were shooting us weird looks, possibly thinking we were a bit coo-coo but right now I couldn’t care less.

Seth especially seemed to have formed an exceptional amount of distaste this past half-hour towards Daniel as he kept giving him annoyed glances and dirty looks, his eyes narrowed and lips sneering. Snorting at his obvious jealousy I decided it was time for some fun, I mean I wasn’t the one who was letting some blonde babe feel me up, sure, little old Rayne should totally not care about that, but no as soon as somone is being nice to me, it surely must translate into the guy wanting get funky with me, cue alpha-neanderthal Seth. Fuck that.

Flashing Seth a sweet smile I whispered my plan into Daniels ear to which he was more than willing to be a part of. Apparently it would be good practice for the hoe-down. Plastering on a flirty smile I looked up at Daniel through my lashes, trailing my fingers down his chest while I laughed at every word he said, basically even if he said something along the lines of “the sky is blue” that would be something I would be cracking up on.

“Hey, look over at Seth, God that guys got it bad.” Ignoring the last bit I glanced over in the direction of Seth to find his arms crossed, repeatedly clenching and unclenching his fists as if he wanted to murder something, or more likely someone.

Sniggering under my breath I winked at Daniel deciding to take it up a notch. Sidling up closer to him I pressed myself upon him, letting my breath skitter across his skin while I let my finger lightly sketch across his jaw line, slowly making my way down his chest and abs while biting my lower lip and locking my eyes with Daniel’s.

It was only a matter of seconds till Seth suddenly called Daniel over and possibly had a few things to say to him. What I didn’t count on was the fact that now Daniel had to go sit near the back, away from me. Therefore I was left on my own, left to drown in my own private pool of utter boredom. Jerk, I don't see May being put in the naughty corner.

***

The sky began to darken, the pale blue swiftly descending into a darker navy, small dots of light appearing at intervals in the midst of the silky blue.

Hopping off the truck I wrapped my arms around myself, trying and failing to stop the cold air from nipping at my bare skin. So you could only imagine my frustration when a floating voice told me I had to check that that all the pens were locked up. All the bloody pens?! Fuck’s sake, I’m trying not to freeze here in a t-shirt and my cold underwear!

I turned around to say just that when I realised there was no one there. Spooky or what? Trying not to dwell on that I marched on wards to complete the task I had been set.

***

“Nearly finished. Just one more to go, you can do it Rayne, I believe in you! The chickens believe in you!” Trying to give yourself a pep talk while trying not to catch hypothermia does not work. At all. But it was the only thing I could do to stop the boredom from hunting me down and distract myself from the shivers racing up and down my spine. All I had to do was check on the chickens then I could be in my warm, cozy, sweet, sweet bed.

Forcing my legs to keep moving I turned the corner hoping to find everything in order so that I could just get to bed.

But of course that wasn’t going to happen. Instead my eyes were met with total chaos. Chicken feathers lay scattered across the floor, whilst terrified clucking-crazy chickens were huddled around the left side, away from the chicken house.

I let my eyebrows scrunch together in confusion as I padded over towards the medium sized wooden structure. What the hell has got these chickens acting like…well chickens?

I hurried inside, letting my pace increase with the sudden surge of urgency rushing through my veins. I could feel the incessant thump, thump of my heart as it increased, beating faster and thrumming through my ears at a deafening pace.

Standing at the door way I took in the mess. Hay and feathers were spread across the floor in a sickening array, and the most disturbing thing of all was the patch of wet gooey substance that I had decided to step on. Since it was so dark in the chicken house I couldn’t quite make out what it was but there seemed to be more.

Little icky droplets of the dark substance trailed through the hay, twisting and turning in a tortured manner, leading further into the chicken house, near the back wall.

What I saw had my heart thumping faster, my blood surging through my veins at an alarming speed, my hands shaking, my knees clacking together, and the sensation of thick bile rise at the back of my throat.

Squinting my eyes I hoped this was just me and my fatigue playing up but the more I squinted the clearer it became.

And that’s when I saw it, or more likely who.

Black spots clouded my vision and the last thing I saw was a shadow slinking away into the night, the shadow of whom I tried to block out.