Promise Me This

-Alice POV-

I was completely drenched in sweat. My tank top was soaked and my hair was greasy. I felt like someone had locked me in an oven. But I was burning from the inside out.

The door creaks and swings open. Steve opens the door and shuts it right behind him. He rushes around the bed and kneels beside me.

"My God, Alice. What's happening to you?" He chokes up as he laces his fingers with mine. He holds my hand close to his face, planting a kiss on the back of my hand. Just feeling his touch makes me feel stronger. It reassures me that we are in this together.

"I'm okay. I'll be alright. But next time, I say we just stay the whole week at SHIELD." I smile lightly, and Steve grins. 

"I'm so sorry about this, Alice." Steve shakes his head and looks down at the floor, not daring to look up at me, "This is all my fault." He mumbles.

"Hey, look at me." I begin, cupping the side of his face with my hand, he finally looks up at me, his eyes was glossy and he looked like he was going to cry at any moment. "This will never ever be you fault. This is the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. Just because a little bit of pain comes along-"

"A little bit? A little bit of pain! Alice you sounded like you were dying!"

"I felt like I was, Steve. But I would go through a year full of pain like this in order to have a family. And I'm not going to give in to pain. But there's something that I need you to promise to me." My voice cracks and so I clear my throat.

"Anything. You know that." He takes both of my hands in his.

"Promise me this." I begin, trying not to choke up. I had been thinking about this for a while now, and I've finally came to a decision. I'm only hoping Steve will respect it and possibly support it. "If anything happens to me, if it ever comes down to a choice between me or the baby-"

"Alice, don't."

"Promise me that you will choose the baby." I finish. Steve shakes his head and releases my hands. He stands up and runs his hands through his hair, walking over to the window. "Steve, please-"

"Why? Why are you saying this?" He stares out the window at the dark city. He suddenly turns back to me and then I can see a tear sliding down his cheek. "What's wrong? What aren't you telling me?"

"Steve, please listen to me-"

"What, are you dying? That's why you want me to promise?"

"Steve, I need you to listen to me-"

"Alice, I can't." He walks towards the door, his hand gripping the doorknob. "I just can't."

"You can't what?"

"I can't lose you. I can't lose the baby. I need both of you here with me. It means the world to me that I have you and a baby on the way." He turns the doorknob.

"You won't lose me, I'll do my best to make sure that won't happen." I try to stand from the bed, but I stop, wincing slightly. Steve jolts slightly. "Steve, please."

"I need some time. To think. Give me time to think." He opens the door and leaves, shutting it behind him. And then he was just gone.

I bite my lower lip and heave a heavy breath as the tears begin to roll down my cheeks. I hear the apartment door open and slam shut.

 He left. 

I cover my mouth and try to cry quietly. But I don't think I was doing a good job. The door opens and Pepper and Natasha were standing there. I turned back to them, still crying.

"What happened?" Natasha asked, coming in and sitting down on the bed next to me.

I continue to cry, trying to speak, "Where do I even begin?"

-

A/N: So, yeah you're probably hating me right now. I understand that. But hear me out, things will carry on. Thanks for sticking with the story this long. It makes me happy to know that people like what I write. So thank you :) And Vibranium Strong is almost at 5k reads!

Also, I am proud to announce a sequel for Vibranium Strong! Along with a new book being published, the sequel will be published immediately after Vibranium Strong ends. We've still got a way to go until the sequel will be published, and unfortunately, I can't release any sneak peaks yet. But they will come in time!

-Camryn