Vanishing In The Night

"We run." Steve says calmly as he throws his clothes into a backpack. I give him a blank stare.

Is he serious? Are we really going to run away?

"I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe, Alice." He says, zipping up his backpack. "Get a bag packed. Grab money, your gun, clothes, and any other things you might need. We leave at midnight." Steve finishes. He approaches me, noticing how tense I was in this situation.

I throw my arms around his neck. He grabs my waist and hugs me tightly.

"This better work." I whisper.

"It will." He whispers back.

I look up at him. Those beautiful blue eyes of his were enchanting. A smile slips out from the corner of his mouth. I smile brightly before I pull his lips to mine. Steve lifted me up, holding on to my legs as we continued to kiss. His fingers got tangled in my long brown hair. I ran my fingers through his hair. He pulls back from my kiss and smiles.

"You are my one and only, Alice." He tells me.

I smile brightly as he sets me back down on the ground. He kisses me softly, once again. I entwine my fingers with his.

"I will meet you here at eleven o' clock." I say.

"Sounds like a plan." Steve replies.

"Bye, Steve." I mumble as I exit the room.

-

I pulled my hood over my head as I knocked on Steve's door. He opened his door. He was dressed in a sweatshirt with blue jeans.

"Ready to vanish?" He asks me.

"I don't necessarily want to vanish. I just want to get away from my brother." I smirk.

"Then, let's go." He says, shutting the door behind him.

We exit the building calmly and quickly. I'm surprised that we didn't even get caught. Steve and I took off on foot, heading towards the nearest city. For now, that was where we were going to stay for tonight. But, the only bad part about that is that the nearest city was about ten miles away. That would be a long journey for two people on foot.

"Steve, it's going to be a long night if we travel on foot." I tried to tell him.

"I know. But we'll be better off on our own." Steve replies.

I lower my head as we continue to walk into the darkness. Steve led the way until it was about four in the morning. That's when the glow of the city finally appeared. Steve was just as relieved as I was. He looked exhausted, but we both were. We were trained to have strong endurance. A ten mile walk didn't bother that much, but I sure wanted to sleep.

Steve took my hand as we walked into the small city.