Chapter 10: Dance Off

Start from the beginning

"If you say so." I say smiling at her. I look at the clock on her nightstand and see how late it is. "I should probably get going so my mom and Dave don't worry."

Calli nods her head then walks me to the door. At the door she wraps her arms around me and buries her face against my chest.

"Thank you for waiting up for me." She whispers.

"Anything for you." I softly say before kissing the top of her head. I let go and start walking away. "Goodnight Calli."

"Goodnight Austin." She says before closing the door behind her.

{Calli}

The next morning we load up the buses and head out to Ohio. Once we're in Dayton we immediately go to rehearsals. The choreographer and Michelle call everyone together before we start.

"We are making some changes to the routines we're doing." Michelle says. "We want there to be a leading girl dancer with Austin." She pauses to look around at everyone. "You are not required to audition ladies, but we would like it if someone would."

"I'll do it!" Maddi interrupts. "Since no one else wants to, I guess it's mine right."

I roll my eyes at her idiocy.

"Calli should do it!" A voice yells.

I look around and see Calum and Toby together nodding their heads.

"Yeah what Calum said!" Toby agrees. "Calli would be great."

I look over at Maddi, who looks like she's about to explode.

"Calli , what do you say?" Michelle says.

"But I called it first." Maddi whines.

"If Calli wants to, we will hold a dance off in a couple hours to see who gets it." Michelle says. Her voice is full of irritation.

"Will Austin be choosing?" Maddi asks crossing her arms. "Cause we all know who he'd choose."

"No he will not be choosing. It will be determined by al of you." Michelle gestures to the dancers. "Either whoever gets the loudest applause, or whoever fails to comply with the other dancer." She looks at me again. Her eyes pleading. "So. What do you think Calli?"

I hesitate for a minute. "When do we start?" I smile wickedly at Maddi.

"As soon as both of you are ready." Michelle says.

"I'm good now." Maddi says. "What about you, Pissy?" She refers to the name she gave me on the bus.

"Bring it on." I say taking off my jacket.

Michelle moves us to either sides of the stage. The other dancers are moved to the stadium seats to watch.

"Now, I will call out a type of dance for each round. There are five rounds At the end of each round we will determine who had the loudest applause and that person gets a point. At the end of five rounds, or if someone gets the first three, we will have a winner."  Michelle backs away. "Maddi you're up first."

Maddi gets in place, center stage.

"Contemporary!" Michelle calls out. Beautiful Soul by Jesse McCartney starts playing as Maddi begins. She is pretty good. She tries to throw in fancy tricks that throw her off. When she lands in an ending position, I immediately jump in. Literally. I areal into the center and start my dance. I can already hear my cheers are louder than hers were.  I end in the splits as the song finishes. Maddi fake yawns as I pull myself to stand up.

"Ok, now all those for Maddi please cheer." Michelle says into the microphone. She gets a slightly loud cheer, but it almost sounds like its out of politeness. "Ok, now for Calli." I get a roar of applause that goes on for a few seconds longer. "Calli wins round one!" Michelle says. "Ok Calli you'll begin this round."

 I move to the center stage.

"Jazz!"

This one is a little more difficult. I've never been big on jazz, but I roll with it anyway. My section finishes as Maddi begins. She's trained in jazz her whole life. When she finishes Michelle calls out my name. Again I get a loud applause. Maddi's name is called and her applause is only slightly louder than mine. "Maddi gets round two!"

Maddi starts the third round.

"Lyrical!"

Lyrical is basically contemporary and jazz, just more flowy. Maddi is incredibly choppy with all of her movements. Finally its my turn. I win this round. I have two, Maddi only has one. As long as I win this I'm fine.

I start the fourth round.

"Hip hop!"

This is where I get nervous. I'm good at hip hop, but Maddi can moves her hips better than I can. I do the best I can, and Maddi starts. Her moves are provocative and sexual. I'm afraid that's the only way she's going to get chosen. "Ok now for Maddi please cheer." Maddi gets incredibly loud cheers. I feel my confidence slowly diminishing. "Ok now for Calli." My cheers are at least ten time louder than Maddi's. She stands there eyes bugging out of her head. I'm pretty sure I can see smoke coming from her ears. I bow to everyone in the audience. They stand up and cheer for me.

We finish up rehearsals, as Austin and I learn the new work. This work almost seems like deja vu. At the end of the song I walk away from Austin. That move, just seems way too familiar.