Chapter 22

After hours of torturous shopping, Honey Lemon finally let me go so that I could get ready for the showcase, despite the fact that I wasn't participating. She'd given me a very thorough list of what I should do, but I was gonna ignore that and save her tips for another time. They were something more akin to a first date or a wedding than just going to a showcase for a scholarship with friends. I changed into one of the new outfits Honey Lemon and I had bought as I finished up the frozen yogurt we ate for lunch. I put on a blue tank top, white denim skirt, and blue and black sweater. It didn't match my hair at all, but that didn't matter to me. I was thinking of changing the colors soon, since the dye was fading. I slipped on a pair of blue boot heels and walked out. No one was standing there, so I assumed the two of them were in the garage, getting ready to go. I grabbed my purse and phone, then headed to the garage. Hiro and Tadashi were standing there, grabbing onto some large blue garbage bins.
"Hey nerds," I teased. "Ready to go?"
Tadashi nodded, but Hiro just looked down at the garbage bin.
"Hiro?"
Hiro took a deep breath, then looked up at me and smiled confidently.
"Yeah, let's go."
"Alright!"
I grabbed onto a garbage bin and helped wheel it into Fred's truck. One by one, we loaded them up into the back, until all nine were ready to go. Fred drove off and the three of us climbed into the back of Aunt Cass' car. My face fell a bit, briefly recalling the memories of the last time we were in this car, but I quickly shook them off and smiled at Hiro.
"You're gonna do amazing. I know it."
Hiro smiled at me.
"Thanks, Mae." I smiled at him. "Nice outfit, by the way."
I laughed.
"This is the result of asking Honey Lemon to go shopping. I learned that was a stupid mistake the hard way."
Tadashi laughed.
"Yeah, try being her boyfriend."
"Wait what?" I held back the urge to squeal like a little girl. "You're dating?"
Tadashi blushed and Hiro punched him in the arm.
"Dude, how long?"
"Actually, a few years now..." Tadashi took a deep breath. "I was thinking, when the two of us got out of college and had enough money, we could... you know... get married and all that."
"Aw, Dashi." I poked his arm. "You're such a girl on the inside."
"Hey, shut up." He rolled his eyes, but he was smiling and blushing.
"You're blushing," I teased.
Before I could say another word, we arrived at the college, and our friends came to greet us.
But I'll never be able to look at Honey Lemon and Tadashi the same again.