Chapter 8

A/N: Here's where the plot of Big Hero 6 starts. Major spoilers ahead for the movie!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mommy, mommy! Look what I found!"
Four year old me stretched out her arm, showing a tiny butterfly shell. We were at the beach for two weeks on vacation. My reddish-brown hair was tied into a ponytail, and I was wearing a ruffled, light blue one piece bathing suit. My beautiful mother, who had eyes like mine, bent down and looked at the shell. It was yellow with pink edges.
"Wow, Mae," she smiled. "It's beautiful."
My father came up behind my mother.
"What could possibly be more beautiful than my two favorite girls?" He asked.
I smiled a goofy smile and showed the shell to my dad.
"Look what I found!"
"Now, that's a pretty shell, but it's still not as beautiful as you two."
I giggled and my mom took the shell to put up on the deck.
That was the last time any of us were happy.

I woke up to distant yelling from downstairs. I looked down to see myself curled up on Hiro's bed. I sat up, head spinning a bit, and began walking downstairs, when I was met by Hiro and Tadashi at their door.
"Oh, hi Mae," Hiro greeted sheepishly.
"What was that all about? I heard Aunt Cass yelling."
"Oh... nothing." Hiro avoided my eyes as he walked past and sat down at his desk. I followed, noticing it was dark outside now, and spun Hiro around in his chair.
"Don't lie to me, Hamada. It won't go down well."
Hiro huffed, but caved.
"Fine. I was out Bot Fighting, alright?"
"Bot Fighting?" I shouted. "Isn't that illegal?"
"No."
"Yes," Tadashi chimed in.
"Hey, no one asked for your input," Hiro shot back.
Hiro turned back to his computer, and I noticed he was researching more Bot Fights. I rolled my eyes and plopped back down on his bed.
"You're gonna have to find a way to make it up to Aunt Cass before she eats the whole cafe," Tadashi laughed.
"Mm hmm," Hiro responded absentmindedly.
"And I hope you learned your lesson, bonehead."
"Yeah, for sure."
Tadashi, suspicious, walked over and spun Hiro's chair around, getting a clear view of his desktop.
"You're going Bot Fighting, aren't you?"
"There's a fight across town. I can still make it." Hiro got up and grabbed a small, black robot. Tadashi walked after him and snatched him by the hood. Hiro stopped and turned around to face his brother.
"When are you gonna start doing something with that big brain of yours?" He asked, tapping Hiro's head.
"What? Go to college like you? So people can tell me stuff I already know?"
"Unbelievable." Tadashi buried his head in his hands, frustrated. "Oh, what would mom and dad say?"
"I don't know. They died when I was three, remember?"
I did remember. Hiro had cried, screaming 'where are mommy and daddy?' I had stood there, not understanding what was happening. I was three. How was I supposed to know what death was?
Hiro began to walk away, when Tadashi tossed him his helmet. He walked up next to him and shoved his brother's head.
"I'll take you."
"What?"
"I can't stop you from going, but I don't want you going alone. I'll take you." He turned to me. "Mae, maybe you should come too."
"Why would I want to-"
Tadashi whispered something in my ear that changed my mind.
"Alright, let's go."
Hiro gave me a confused look as I headed out the door.