Chapter 3

"Aunt Cass?" A very tired looking Hiro asked. "Who is this?"
Tadashi smacked him on the back of his head, and he flinched. I giggled as Tadashi spoke.
"Come on, bonehead! That's Mae. Remember her? She's the girl who dumped sand on your head in preschool! They lived next-door to us for six years? Is any of this sparking any memories at all?"
Hiro stood there, staring blankly, for a moment, then went wide eyed and raced up and hugged me. I stood there in an awkward position for a moment, but after realizing he probably couldn't see my arms, I hugged back. As soon as he got that satisfaction, he pushed back, and I hid my arms again.
"I'll take your bags to your room," Aunt Cass smiled. "We should give you to some alone time to catch up."
Aunt Cass took my bags and began rolling them away, and Tadashi followed.
"I'd recommend covering your arms from now on," he whispered in my ear as he passed by. I nodded, then followed Hiro into their main room. It was a small living room with a deep, fluffy, red couch and a fairly large television. He sat on the couch and I followed, trying to hide my arms. I didn't think I did that good a job with that, but I guess I did, because Hiro didn't seem to notice.
Either that, or he's just really oblivious.
"Mae, not to sound rude, but what are you doing here?"
I sighed. For not trying to sound rude, he certainly just did. But maybe I'm too sensitive.
"Well, uh, you see..." I stuttered. I looked up into his brown eyes and suddenly knew that anything I said to him wouldn't be judged, and would be kept a secret. "Okay, so the reason we left eight years ago was because, after my mom packed up, my dad got addicted to drugs, so Aunt Cass sent us away. But before we left, Aunt Cass gave me an envelope with money and a letter explaining what I needed to do if I ever left home. Things at my house got really bad, so I left, and, well, now I'm here."
Hiro nodded, but there was a sad look in his eyes.
"Hiro," I sighed. "Don't worry about it. There's nothing you can do. I've left that cursed place, and now I'm here, starting a new life."
"But what about school?"
I smiled at his ignorance. He really couldn't remember me.
"I graduated last year, mainly for my literary talents."
"Literary?" He asked slowly.
I sighed, frustrated.
"Writing, Hiro! I graduated for my extensive knowledge of the English language!"
"Oh..."
I face palmed, and then the both of us began laughing.
"My teachers got their hands on my poetry, and that sold the graduation deal for them."
"R-really? W-we-well, could I maybe read one?" He stuttered. I wondered why. There was no shame in asking me to read something of mine.
"Yeah, sure." I pulled out my phone and opened up my notepad to one of my poems, than handed it to him. He read with quick eyes.
The stars
They twinkle
They shine
Unlike me

I am the night sky
That they rest on,
Are seen on
No one cares for me

I am the darkness
A blanket of death
I am unimportant
A bad omen

I hide from the light
When it tries to choose me
And when I am caught
I die

Withering away
Melting, crying
I shrivel in agony
Once the morning sun rises

But I get another chance
When the sun hides away
To dance across the stars
And stretch my black cloth

But the light always wins
In this eternal war
Every time light hits
I gain another scar

The Sun keeps them alive
But they are worthless
After all, I enclose them
Once they die

I snap out of my day dream
And shake my head, hair flying
People do not see me when
They die

But I do hate the spotlight
As people hate me
It's a deep seeded hatred
Fueled by the fires of rage

I want to spread my dark wings
Escape into the night
To never be seen
No one would miss me

But whenever I try to leave
The ball and chain
Of everything
Keeps me in my spot

I am the night sky
Unwanted
Unseen

Unimportant

"Wow, Mae," Hiro smiled once he had finished, handing my phone back to me. "That was amazing."
"Thanks," I blushed, taking my phone back.
"Mae! Come see your new room!"
I smiled and stood.
"Coming, Aunt Cass!" I turned to look down at Hiro. "See you later, Hiro."
With that, I walked off to the guest room.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: That poem is an actual poem I've written. How is it? Is it bad?