Ego Central

Chapter Two

Stepping outside her house Rory spotted a gleaming black Escalade  idling in her yard. The source of the insistent honking that Lorelai had heard earlier. Quickly approaching it she opened the front passenger door and confronted the driver.

"I thought I told you not to honk when you got here," she said her eyes shooting daggers at the boy behind the wheel.  

His return smirk said it all...no one really told him what to do. He didn't live by any rules but the ones he imposed on himself.  He was both rich and good looking and those two things had gotten him his way for far too many years to think of changing now. 

"You also said you'd be waiting outside for me, so I guess we're even," Tristan replied the superior look on his face doing volumes to irritate her and get under her skin. 

As Rory stood there a level of undisguised annoyance on her face Tristan had finally had enough. 

"You getting in or not,  cause this ride is headed out." 

Without another word to him Rory tossed her book bag into the car and climbed in, smoothing down her navy school uniform skirt as she settled in. 

"You know you didn't have to wear your uniform this is a field trip," Tristan said shifting the gear on his car out of the park position and into drive.

His remark caused Rory to shift uncomfortably in her seat, she hated that he had a way of making her very aware of his presence without even moving a muscle and now on top of that she was a little bit embarrassed to be Chilton ready when clearly he was not. 

"I don't recall Mr. Offerman saying regular clothes were an option."  For whatever reason Rory felt the need to defend herself. Tristan always put her on the defensive, it was part of the cat and mouse game they always seemed to be playing.

Glancing over at him for the first time Rory took in Tristan's appearance. He was wearing well - worn blue jeans and an olive green v-neck t-shirt that clung to his lean and muscled torso in just the right places. His hair looked tousled like he'd just rolled out of bed. And he was she realized looking sexy as hell. 

"You like what you see?" 

Embarrassed to be caught staring and unable to keep the blush from springing into her cheeks Rory immediately bit back. 

"Don't flatter yourself Tristan and please just drive, your unchecked arrogance is starting to give me a headache." 

Tristan laughed out loud, he couldn't help himself. Rory was a spunky spitfire and he was determined to get under her skin like she had begun to get under his. She was the itch he had not yet been able to scratch, but she was a girl and all girls eventually fell under his spell. He was confident that he just had to wait for an opportunity to present itself. Or to make one, which was what today was all about providing himself an opportunity to have Rory all to himself, no distractions.

As Tristan finally pulled away from the front of Rory's home she began to relax a little. So she'd ended up in Tristan's carpool for the trip to the museum. It really wasn't that big of a deal but she knew if she'd told her mom it could have become one. She'd spent far too much time bashing him to her for Lorelai to just let it go that she had consented to even the smallest amount of time in Tristan presence and Rory just didn't want to hear it. That was why she'd kept her mode of transportation today a secret. Or was it?