Boys of Fall

*Hayleigh's POV*

How you doing Dillon! It is almost time for another Panther Football Friday. First game of the season and we all hope that Coach Taylor can pull it off. We know that star Quarterback Jason St...

I turned off the radio as I drove to the Alamo Freeze from school. I knew I had to go to the opening of Dad and Buddy's business venture, a car dealership but I wanted to meet up with Callie first. That way I might be able to talk her into going with me to suffer through a night supposed to be business, but all about the football team.

I parked and walked in seeing Callie and smiled. I took a sit across from her in the booth and said "Hey, you will never guess what they were talking about on the radio, it was so surprising!"

Callie laughed "I bet it had nothing to do with the football tomorrow, it was probably another cat story!"

I giggled saying "And, this is why you are my best friend! So you want to be my plus one at a Grand Opening party? Please!" Callie looked at me and I knew she really didn't want to go. "Please Callie, you can come over afterwards and spend the night."

Callie sighed "Yes, I will go with you and then we can go back to your house and hang out and get ready for the game tomorrow."

I smiled happily because she had agreed but my smile soon faded when I heard Lyla talking to reporters about her relationship. In a mocking voice said "Oh My Gosh! That is so interesting, the most interesting thing I have heard." I rolled my eyes "gag me with a spoon."

Callie laughed and handed me a spoon looking at them and said "you are the best you know that? So has the newbie tried talking to you anymore? Why does she want to talk to you so bad? Anyone friends with Lyla should know better than to talk to a tramp like you" She giggled.

I replied "Ha-ha very funny, I don't know why she wants to talk to me but it seems to be a priority of hers. Anyway I need to go get ready."

That night at the grand opening I stood there with my mom and Callie listening to Buddy Garrity and my dad talk, well Mom was listening anyway. I looked around at the room full of people and I was so proud of my dad and how much he had achieved since we moved here. But I could only think back to the question in mind Why couldn't you have been this successful in Dallas? And the Garritys of all people? I was snapped out of my thoughts by a chipper voice "Hey Hayleigh!"

I turned around and replied looking at Paisley confused "Oh...Hi. Thanks for coming to support my dad and Buddy or whatever you came for. You know I really need to go help my mom and dad, so I see you later."

Paisley started to say something else but I hurried away before I caught it. The rest of the night was just about the football players and how they were going to win tomorrow, the Mayor then gave speech, and Smash even had a little rap. When it was over, I went over to my dad and hugged him. He hugged me back and at that moment everything felt pretty alright, like maybe things could get back to normal, but I still felt like just breaking down in his arms.

The ride home, I was quiet and just watched out the window, as we passed houses and stores. Callie got my attention and mouthed "You okay?"

I nodded as we pulled into the driveway, I went in and changed into my pajamas. I was getting my stuff ready for the first game tomorrow, when Callie walked in and shutting the door. She looked at me and said "Ok, now tell me what's up?"

I sighed and continued to do what I was doing but finally looked at her. I could tell she was waiting for an answer and I shrugged saying "The same thing...like always."

Callie got up off my bed and hugged me tightly, then playfully punched me in the arm. She looked at me and said "I love you like my sister and you need to let that go, Okay?" I nodded and she smiled "okay good! Now come on and watch TV with me."

The next day, as we drove to the game we seen that all the businesses had already closed up for it. It was something they always did around here, football Friday was a huge deal for this town, and everyone went. I was pretty excited for it myself, I might not be crazy about a lot of things but I do like to cheer. We were playing Westerby for the first game of the season and I am sure we've got this win.

We got ready and then went out to the track to set up for the game to start and I could tell we were all pumped for it, Especially Lyla and the newbies. We heard the announcer announce the boys and they ran out onto the field and the crowd went crazy. It was an amazing feeling and we started cheering right away.

Jason handed the ball off to Smash and he moved way up the right side before getting took down. The next pass was to Tim Riggins and he made to the 35 yard line. Street's next pass went long to Williams and he make the first touchdown of the game for the Panthers. The crowd went wild and so did we.

We did our first stunt of the night, which went great compared to some of the mishaps we had at practice earlier in the week. Then we got back to cheering and watching the game, but Paisley kept watching the bench. I was wondering who she would be watching over there because why else wouldn't she watch the game. I bet it was Matt Saracen, I could see them together. I giggled then went bad to watching the boys play.

Westerby got the ball and ran all the way back to the Panther 60 yard line before getting stopped. Westerbys next play was a misdirection and no one caught him, he went all the way, touchdown for Westerby. When the Panthers got the ball back Street threw the ball to Smash and Riggins made a huge block, giving them another touchdown. The Panthers were back in the lead. But the bad thing was Westerby came right back with a touchdown in their first play, this game was going to be tougher than it had first looked. Westerby is going stronger than any of us had anticipated.

It was halftime and Coach Taylor was ready to yell at the Defense for how they had been playing. The Marching Band and color guard took the field for their halftime show and Lyla looked at us smiling "Oh I am so proud of you guys! You have done so well with this first game and thanks to Hayleigh for being our Co-Captain. So we got to continue supporting our boys through the second half and hope they get this win!"

I smiled and replied "Thanks Lyla and I agree you guys have been fabulous tonight!" I looked over at Callie and made a face making her laugh. I couldn't believe the first game was almost over, I really wanted us to pull off this win.

With Halftime over, the boys came back out and got the ball straight away. Smash Williams had the ball and got tackled pushing him back for a 5 yard loss. The game is getting rough and none of the plays seem to be working for the Panthers. Westerby gets the ball back from a fumble and run it to the 4th yard line, making a Touchdown the next play.

Everyone is starting to get on edge and yelling about this as Westerby pulls ahead in the game. There is only 6 minutes left in the game and Westerby is ahead by 10 points. They are on the 35 yard line and Street looks like he is all business and something has to be done. Street throws the ball done the field and it is intercepted and Westerby takes off the other way with the ball. He looks unstoppable but the thing is if he isn't stopped and score, Panthers will probably be done. He is running down the left side and the only chance to stop him would be Street. He runs toward him and takes the chance at the tackle, Ow was it a gigantic hit on Street.

Silence comes over the game, you could hear a pen drop. I looked at Lyla and she was already started to panic and then I look at Callie, her face is total shock. Everyone is starting to freak out and Coach Taylor went out there. The announcer says "Jason Street is down and he is not moving. This cannot be good."

•A.N•
-thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy! :)
-Taylor