Angle of the Discussion

Start from the beginning

"Yes, and that scent is from many, many centuries ago." Dr. Berman walked around the lab. "Ever since Alessandro's emergence, I have been searching for information on him and the human capsules, but I can't find anything. There has to be a connection there."

The Professor changed the angle of the discussion.

"Elliot, do you know where Prairie Hills, Kansas, was located in the past?"

Elliot tilted his jaw.

"Of course you don't," Berman said. "That's because it's probably not real. It didn't exist. It was made up. Who would name a place Prairie Hills? Is it a prairie, or does it have hills?"

Elliot listened.

"Kansas was located in the middle of the Northern Americas. Rural country! We're nowhere near there! So how did a young man, supposedly from Kansas, end up here? In a time capsule! In a building filled with hundreds of other comatose humans?"

Elliot tightened his jaw.

"Aless recalls very specific aspects about his past life," Dr. Berman continued, "but nothing about the capsule. It's as if it didn't exist. At first, I passed it off as some kind of transient amnesia, being comatose for so long that he could not remember when or why he was put in a time capsule -- I can accept an explanation like that -- but he also conveniently does not remember any circumstances that may have led to him being placed in a capsule."

"You think Aless is lying?" Elliot asked.

"Purposely withholding information," Dr. Berman answered. "I, like Mimi, wonder if Alessandro is hiding something."

"You know," Elliot said, "I wondered if Alessandro had been abused in his past life. He didn't attend school. His guardian made him do manual labor as a child. Maybe he was also pressured into being encapsulated?"

"Hmm... There were no signs of a struggle on Alessandro's body," Dr. Berman countered. "No signs of being forced against his will... "

The Professor paused.

"... unless he entered the capsule without a fight."

"Under duress?" Elliot asked.

"Or willingly," Dr. Berman said.

Elliot looked at his mentor intently. "What are you thinking, Professor?"

"I'm thinking there's no mention of human time capsules anywhere in our history records. Why is that? Where did the capsules come from? Why does Alessandro say nothing about them or the encapsulation process? Does he really not remember anything about it? Or was it a secret? Part of some illegal practice?"

"You think he's not telling us about his capsule, because it was part of an illegal operation? That he's a criminal? Dr. Berman, that sounds crazy!"

"Does it? Or are you so blind in your faith that you're willing to ignore all of the unknowns?

"He's not some kind of criminal!"

"Elliot, if Alessandro's past involves secret activity, he may be more dangerous than he appears."

Elliot shook his head. "That can't be true! I'm the one who spends the most time with him. If anyone would know, I would! He hasn't done anything! He hasn't assaulted anyone, or... or lied, or stolen anything... "

All of a sudden, Elliot paused.

"What? What is it, Elliot?"

Elliot was wide-eyed. He put a hand to his mouth.

"Tell me, Elliot!"

Elliot could not ignore a certain truth.

"Aless has been leaving his quarters unsupervised."

"What? What do you mean?"

"The door out of the isolation lab was unlocked several days ago, and Aless didn't deny that he was responsible for it."

"He can operate the security system? How? He has no knowledge of our technology! Are you sure about that?"

"I'm positive, Professor."

"How long has this been happening?"

"At least a week. It could be longer."

The elder scientist wrapped his arms around himself and clutched his chin. "Why would Alessandro feel the need to move about the Center secretly?"

"He moved a storage unit out of the department, too."

"He did what?"

"Remember the storage unit I found, out in the corridors?" Elliot said. "Do you think he's really stealing something? I haven't noticed anything missing, but I can check our inventories again."

The elder scientist thought. "Could he be stealing something less physical?"

"What do you mean?"

"Gathering information?"

"Information? For what?"

"To survive," Dr. Berman said. "To use against us. Either for himself or for someone else. Our enemies?"

The two scientists looked at each other with unease.

For the animals?

"Elliot, do you recall our recent conversation regarding nuclear technology?"

Elliot's eyes were wide open now.

"The nuclear fission machine -- the main source of our energy needs -- it's in the basement, the furthest level from ground," Dr. Berman revealed.

"You don't think... "

"It's the most powerful object we have."

"But he is just a boy... "

"Don't underestimate him, Elliot! If the canines find out about the machine... Oh, Elliot! I fear we may have made a very grave mistake!"

"What can we do?"

Dr. Berman paused.

"We must re-isolate Alessandro. We must find out more information about the capsules and the boy's intentions."

"How can we contain him? He can escape the lab so easily!"

"Maybe it is time we got the Human Protection Unit involved. Mimi already knows. We should let the other scientists know as well. We cannot wait until the next board meeting."

Mentor and apprentice analyzed their options, but ultimately knew what had to be done. Their penitence for their experiments.

"Alessandro has a routine follow-up appointment with me later today," Dr. Berman planned. "He always shows up. It'll be the perfect time to apprehend him!"