Chapter 7: Starting Over

Start from the beginning

I pick up my bag and walk slowly behind everyone else. I've never been on a plane before and I am terrified. Somehow Austin made his way back to and grabbed my hand. I jump, pulling my hand back and stare at him.

"Are you ok?" He asks, his voice filled with concern. "You're really pale."

"I guess I'm just nervous about flying." I say.

"First time?" He asks.

I nod my head, tucking back a strand of hair.

He shoves his hands in his pockets and continues to walk next to me. "It's not that bad. It may be a little bumpy, but nothing to be scared of."

"Really?" I ask looking up at him.

"Yeah. No big deal though." He looks down at my ticket. "Where are you sitting?" I hand it to him so he can see. He smiles widely at me. "What do you know? You're sitting by me."

"Fantastic." I say taking the ticket from him.

The plane ride isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely bumpy like Austin said, but not as bad. We land in Miami close to one o'clock. Immediately we're taken to the studio to meet the rest of Austin's crew. After introductions rehearsals start. We plan out everything for three weeks before the first show in Jupiter, Florida.

I manage to get closer to the other dancers, but Maddi and Monica refuse to let me in their group. So I spend a lot of time by myself. Unless, of course, Austin comes to invade my privacy. The wall I have built to keep him away very slowly starts to crumble. I let him get closer to me, but I never let him too close.

One day in the beginning of November I'm sitting on the stage of the arena we're performing in tonight. I stare at my phone wishing I could hear my mom's voice. Making sure no one is too close to hear, I dial the number and listen to it ring a couple times. The line clicks and I think my mom is about to answer. Instead there's an automated voice informing me that the number has been disconnected. I choke back a sob. My own mother, changed her number and didn't even tell me. I get up and run to the back dressing room and slam the door behind me.

A few seconds later there's a knock on the door. I wipe off my face, and open the door. Austin stands behind the door looking at me. I back away and he walks in closing the door behind me. I can't control my crying anymore.

He puts his hands on my shoulders and looks into my eyes. "Calli, what's wrong?"

I wipe my eyes. "It's nothing. Just stupid family problems."

"Stop lying." He whispers. "I know it's something bigger."

I can't even hold back anymore. I nod my head and collapse into his arms. His arms wrap around my waist and pulls me closer. Once I've managed to calm down, I pull away from Austin and wipe my eyes.

"You ok?" He asks.

"Yeah." I sigh. 

"What happened?" He asks again.

"My mom won't talk to me. She changed her number and didn't even tell me."  I say through tears.

I go to sit on one of the couches.

"But why? That doesn't make any sense?" Austin comes to sit by me.

"She didn't want me to come on the tour. She told me I wasn't good enough to make it as a professional dancer, and I brought up my dad believing in my dreams."

"Why would that upset her?"

"My dad died eleven months ago, and my mom hasn't fully recovered yet." I feel more tears coming. I know what Austin's about to ask, so I tell him. "He died in a car accident on New Year's Eve last year. My mom ran out of, I don't even remember, but my dad said he would go get it." I look up at him. "He was half a block away from home before some stupid drunk t-boned him. Right on the driver's side. You want to know why I hate it when people call me Callista?"

He nods his head.

"My dad was the only one who called me that." I say. "When he died, I couldn't stand hearing that name. I never wanted to hear it again."  

Austin takes one of my hands. "I'm so sorry Calli. I had no idea."

"How could you? I'm nothing but mean to you everyday." I say smiling up a him.

"I don't take it personally." He says smiling back at me. "You'll come around and learn to love me, eventually." He winks at me, causing me to roll my eyes. "My dad died too." He suddenly says.

"How long ago?" I ask squeezing his hands.

"I was a little over a year." He says. "I don't remember him at all."

"That's got to be hard." I whisper.

"Yeah." He sighs. "But I know he's looking down on me. I hope he's proud of everything I've accomplished."

"I'm sure he is." I smile at him.

Austin smiles back at me, but doesn't say anything.

"Can we start over?" I ask. "Believe it or not, I actually feel bad about how mean I was to you."

Austin smiles even wider at me. "I'd like that a lot."