Chapter 25: Vigilante justice.

Start from the beginning

I cut him off. “Don’t…I don’t think I can stand to go through this right now.” I told him; too many emotions roiling within me.

He nodded. “Of course.” His eyes pierced mine, pleading for what I could only guess was forgiveness and I closed my eyes briefly to shut out the light.

I heard another boom and an ear piercing scream from somewhere not far away and my eyes snapped open.

Adrian instantly pulled away; once again fidgeting with the tubes in my arm and I watched in confusion as he pulled back the sheets that covered my body.

“”What’s going on?” I asked him, watching his every move.

He didn’t answer but kept steadfastly on his mission.

“Who shot me?” I tried again and this time he looked up but only briefly.

“I swear I’ll tell you all that later but right now I’ve got to get you out of here…Sit up.” He said and I did as he asked, suffering through the pain and discomfort that shot through my chest at the slightest movement.

He settled his hand under my legs and around my back, successfully lifting me off the bed and into the wheel chair.

“I can walk.” I protested weakly but he ignored me and after handing me a pillow, which I settled into my lap; he was pushing me out the door and across the hall.

……………………………………….

I found myself stuffed into a bed once again. This time however there were no beeping machines and annoying tubes to keep me company but what I got instead were my dirty and bruised comrades going in and out of Carson’s living room, now slash bedroom, slash sickbay slash everything else.

Adrian left the moment I was secure in my new bed. He’d kissed my forehead briefly and uttered an almost inaudible ‘I love you’ then he was gone. I hadn’t seen him since and that was almost four hours ago. I couldn’t count the number of times I’d dozed off during that period.

What I’d learned after much cajoling was that there was an ongoing pack raid…much like what had taken place last time I had to come here to save Carson’s ass. Only this time no one knew who was responsible or how the enemy broke through our defenses.

The lack of cleanliness of my comrades then had much to do with their assistance in the fight and I longed to go out there and do some damage.

Marcus, Scottie, Jessie and a few others were in and out constantly. Only Laken and Rivers remained indoors and at my side at all times. Grady just sat in the corner looking miserable; maybe because like me with Adrian, he hadn’t seen or heard from Thomas for hours now.

“Any word yet?” I asked Laken who was busy fluffing my pillows which I’d told him time and time again didn’t need fluffing.

He shook his head. “Only that it’s getting worse; the enemy keeps getting reinforcements but so far we’re holding our own.” He said it with a smile but I could see the fear and concern he so desperately tried to hide and I sighed; praying that after everything this pack had been through, it wouldn’t all end here.

…………………………………………………….

~Thomas’ POV~

The smoke was dense and I had to stuff my nose into my sleeve as I shoved through the alley, stepping over dead bodies and trying to stay out of the sights of the enemy. Our defenses were blown to bits. The attack came so sudden and with such strategic perfection that it left no doubt in my mind that it was with the help of some of our very own men.