Chapter 6

{Song in video: Boys Like Girls - She's Got A Boyfriend Now}

Nick put on a nice pair of jeans and a nicer shirt. He was brushing his hair and then all of a sudden his mom walked in.

She took a good look at him. "Do you have a date?" she asked and smiled.

"Yeah," Nick admitted quietly.

"I KNEW you and Lainey were meant for each other-"

"Mom it's not with Lainey."

She looked surprised. "Oh...well I hope your date goes nicely!" She walked out.

Nick sighed and got ready to go.

---

Nick got out of the car and walked inside Hwy 55. He got a table and waited for Shayla to come. A minute later she came in. "Hey," she grinned and sat down.

"Hey," Nick smiled.

"So is this your first time here? I know you're new and all..." She put a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Yeah it is. Have you ever been here?"

"A few times. I think it's good."

"Cool." He tried to come up with something else to say but he couldn't.

Shayla shifted in her seat. "So...do you know what you're getting?"

Nick looked at the menu. "Yeah I think so. Do you?"

"Yeah..." She started asking him about how he liked it here and what he did in Miami. When he was done he had asked her how she liked it here and what not. While Shayla was talking, Nick couldn't help but think about Lainey.

"Hello? Earth to Nick?" Shayla got his attention.

He snapped out of his thoughts. "Oh...I'm so sorry!" His face flushed.

"It's okay. The waitress here wants to know your order."

"Oh...I'll have a bacon cheeseburger and a chocolate shake."

The waitress wrote it down and left.

"I'm so glad I moved back here. I really missed Lainey you know? She was my best friend. But the thing is as soon as I moved back and we both started talking again it was like I never left. I think that's amazing."

His eyes glistened.

Shayla paused for a while. "You like Lainey don't you?" she asked quietly.

Nick's eyes widened. "What?" His face turned red from blushing. He nervously scratched his head. "What makes you say that?"

Shayla giggled. "It's so obvious. You talk about her nonstop and you're totally blushing!" She grinned.

"No I'm not!" He felt flustered. Do I really like Lainey? I mean I can't stop thinking of her lately. She has the most beautiful smile and an amazing unique personality. But she's my best friend and she's dating Brent. He thought.

"You have that look in your eye."

He looked down shamefully. "I guess I do don't I? I'm so sorry Shayla. I'm such a douchebag for doing this on a date."

"It's okay." She rubbed his arm. "To be honest I think you and Lainey would make a great couple. If I didn't know any better and I saw you two at first glance then I would think you two are dating." She gave him a reassuring smile.

"Really?" He looked up in surprise.

"Yeah. The only problem is Brent. I mean I think they're okay together but I don't think they're made for each other. You know what I mean?"

"Oh I definitely know what you mean."

She laughed. "You don't like Brent do you?"

"Not at all. He keeps giving me mean looks and told me to stay away from Lainey basically."

Shayla's mouth dropped. "He said that?"

"Yeah."

"Have you mentioned it to Lainey?"

"Yeah but she didn't seem to act like it was a big deal. She wants all of us to hang out and she said if we do then maybe he would be more relaxed around me."

"Hmm that's weird. Sometimes she doesn't take things seriously though. She has to see it for herself."

"Yeah maybe."

The waitress came by with their food.

He took a bite of his burger. "Mmm this is great stuff," he said with his mouth full.

Shayla laughed. "Yup it is."

For the next few minutes they were silent because they were eating their food.

"I'm going to help you and Lainey get together," she said suddenly.

"No it's okay Shayla. Lainey is with Brent and I don't want to ruin that for her," he said.

She sighed. "I just don't think they're a good match. You and her definitely have a strong bond and connection. I noticed the mean looks Brent gives you."

"Brent will kick my butt if I stole her away from him."

"So?" She smirked. "Kick his before he kicks yours."

He sighed. "Please don't say anything to Lainey. Or do anything for that matter." His face turned serious.

"Fine I won't." She ate a french fry sternly.

"I can't stop thinking about her you know? But even if she was single I don't think I would want to tell her I like her. I wouldn't want to ruin our great friendship."

"I honestly don't think that would ruin you all's friendship. I think the best relationships are with someone you're really close to."

When they were done eating, Nick said, "I'll pay for both of our meals."

Shayla raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

Nick gave her a confused look. "Of course. We went on a date so I'm paying."

"You don't have to..."

"I want to."

"This is the first time a guy actually paid for my meal on a date."

"Really?"

"Yeah..."

"I'll tell you what, do you want to go to the park and hang out for a bit?"

Shayla's face lit up. "Sure. That would be great."

**********

A/N: Awww Nick admits that he has feelings for Lainey! What do you think of that? :o

READ

VOTE

COMMENT