Chapter Eleven

Charles P.O.V

"Are you sure you don't want to go with us, love?" I asked Beth as we were walking down the hall towards the rec room the others were in.

She gave a small smile and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear before looking up at me. "Yeah, I just want to spend some time with Alex, you know? Get to know the rest of the recruits a little better."

I returned a smile and put an arm around her shoulders, giving her arm a light squeeze. "I am trusting you to keep them in line." I joked.

"Yes, dad." She chuckled before realizing what she had called me and she looked down. "..I promise, Charles."

We stopped walking and I looked down at her since we had a slight height difference. (yes I am aware James and Gemma are both 5'7, this is just for the story.) "Beth, you can't beat yourself up forever over that..."

"I know." She nodded and looked down the hall. "I know.." Beth then looked at me and leaned against the wall, me doing the same. "Why are you such a good person?"

I rose a brow and smiled at her. "What?"

"You're just so selfless... You didn't have to save me, and you did..." She paused and stepped a little closer to me. "I was such a bitch to you when we met.. And you still waited for me."

"I never give up on people.." I whispered, now noticing just how close to each other we were. "And I'm glad you didn't give up on me..."

Beth gave a small smile. "I'm glad too..." She whispered back. Before I could react, she closed the distance between us and placed her lips on mine. I didn't react out of shock, but then when she began to pull away I pulled her back and put a hand on the back of her neck, tangling my fingers in her hair.

Oh god what was I doing.. I was kissing Beth... Not just kissing, we were full on snogging at this point. And for some reason I couldn't find it in myself to care.

I heard a low scoff from my right and I pulled away from her, only to see Erik glaring at us. "I thought we were leaving?"

Beth blushed and quickly walked away, giving Erik a quick pat on his arm as she passed him.

"What was that about?" Erik asked as we walked to where we would meet Moira outside.

"I honestly don't know..." I said truthfully.

--

Beth's P.O.V

"Okay, I don't need to be like you or Charles to know you were just making out with someone. Who was it? Erik or Charles? You seem to fancy both of them." Raven said as soon as I walked in the room.

All eyes went on me and Alex raised a brow in a protective brother way. "Did I miss something?" He asked, crossing his arms.

"Nothing happened!" I lied, hoping no one would notice.

"Yeah that's why your lipstick is all messed up and your hair is disheveled." Angel pointed out with a smirk. "Honey, I know a person who just made out with someone else when I see 'em.

My face flushed and Raven hugged me tightly. "So was it Charles or Erik?" I could hear the smirk in her tone and I groaned.

"Who says it wasn't a guard?" I covered up quickly.

"Because that'd be gross. They're all like fifty." Shawn chimed in.

I sighed in defeat and looked up at everyone after Raven released me from the hug. "What makes you think I like Erik..?"

"Aside from the fact that you're waaaay too nice to him, it's obvious he likes you too." Hank spoke up, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

I couldn't help but laugh at the accusation. "I'm nice to everyone! And it's not obvious if he does. Because I sure as hell can't tell." I sighed and looked at the ground. "But if it will get you guys to shut up... It was Charles. Erik interrupted us..."

"Erik interrupted you?!" Angel squeaked out. "He totally likes you oh my god!"

"Or he likes Charles." I defended myself.

Everyone went silent and then shook their heads.

"Can we talk about something else...?" I asked.

Raven nodded and pat my shoulder. "Yeah, I think we should get the spotlight off of poor Bethany." I rolled my eyes at the back of her head as she walked away and sat on a couch. "We should think of code names. We're government agents now. We should have secret code names. I want to be called Mystique."

Shawn groaned. "Damn! I wanted to be called Mystique."

Raven chuckled and shook her head. "Well, tough. I called it! And besides." She then turned into him and everyone gasped except me, since I already knew what she could do. "I'm way more mysterious than you." She then turned back into herself and bowed as everyone clapped.

I smiled and turned to Darwin. "What about you, Darwin?"

"Well.. Darwin is already a nickname, and, you know, sort of fits. Adapt to survive and all. Check this out." He then stuck his head in the fish tank and he grew gills to be able to breath under water.

I gasped and then clapped. I didn't know he could do it to that extent, it was amazing!

"I wanna be called banshee!" Shawn announced.

"What do you want to be named after a wailing spirit?" Hank asked chuckling.

Shawn rolled his eyes. "You all might want to cover your ears."

We all obeyed and he whistled, causing the window in front of us to break.

"Damn.." I breathed out while we all uncovered our ears.

 Raven turned to Angel and smiled. "What about you?"

"My, uh, stage name is Angel.. Kind of fits." She then turned and revealed her wings.

"You can fly?!" Raven asked completely in awe.

"Uh-Huh. And um.." She spit acid on the statue outside and we all clapped once more.