Chapter 53

Chapter 53
Sarah
After breakfast, Justin took me outside to have a look at the storm damage. That was his excuse. He was trying to avoid any chance of being alone with his parents so that they didn't ask questions about Abbigail. I guess I couldn't blame him.
After my dream last night, I hadn't gotten to sleep. I was too scared that I would have another dream and it wouldn't be a memory of a birthday. I feared it would be something much, much worse.
But still we walked hand in hand, admiring the water droplets on every leaf of the trees. Thunder clouds were coming in from the distance, brewing up another storm. The ground was slippery under my feet, just a huge pile of slimy leaves.
"Be careful of that," Justin told me, pointing to the small ditch in the ground, fill with water.
I smiled when he pulled me closer, an excuse to hold me, guiding me away from the ditch. I turned my head and spotted a branch only just hanging by a tree.
"Wow, the storm really was that big, hey," I stated, as Justin walked over to the tree.
"Yeah," he said hitting the branch, "These trees around these parts are really weak. One big storm sends limps breaking. Ugh," he groaned hitting it.
First there was a crack, then a rip before the branch broke off all together. I found myself stepping back, watching it crumble at impact. Justin smiled and joined me on the other side of the tree.
"Come on," he said taking my arm.
We had walked a few feet before I asked, "So why haven't you talked to your parents about Abbigail?"
He groaned, "How did you know?"
"Because every time they ask about London, you start to talk about us. I'm scared that you're not going to have anything to talk about and will start talking about our sex life."
"Well..."
My eyes widen, "What!"
"I'm joking, calm down."
I scoffed as he chuckled and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.
"Anyway, answer the question," I asked now determined to get him to answer.
He sighed, "I don't want to have that awkward conversation."
"But it's not like you see Abbigail as your mother. Shouldn't you want to tell them that?"
"Watch out for that," he said pointing to the edge of a gully as we walked, "I don't know, Sarah. I'll wait till they bring up the conversation."
I rolled my eyes, but I knew that was as close as a solution as I was going to get. I stopped and took both of his hands in mine. The ground shifted under my feet, but I just ignored.
"Do you realize, we've been together for almost four months?" I told him as a smile began to grow on my lips.
"Really, it seems longer than that," he stated thinking out loud, but he shook the thought away, "I don't know why."
I felt the ground shift a little more, but I could have imagined.
"I guess because –."
I slipped. Or I fell. It happened so fast that my brain went into overload. Grass, mud and leaves made me side even faster. I just kept falling, and sliding. Slowly and slowly. Never ever stopping.
And then I hit something. And I had stopped. I didn't realize that I had till I felt the pounding in my head, I must have hit my head. The world kept spinning as I look up to the gully's edge. I couldn't see Justin, but I could hear his panicking screams.
"Sarah! Snow!"
I moved up onto my elbows, trying to gain my strength back. My vision was coming back to me, but all I could see was mud. On my hands, down the front of me, no doubt on my face as well. Above my mouth was wet so by accident, I went to lick it away and tasted the bitter taste of blood.
"Oh God Sarah," Justin panted coming next to me.
I began to wonder how he got down here to me when there was a grumble from the sky. We had to be half-an-hour away from the house.
"Can you stand?" he asked me, taking my arm to support me.
He didn't let go of me, even when I was sure that I was steady on my feet. As he looked around at our surroundings, I pressed two of my dirty fingers under my noise. When I pulled them away, I saw the clear sign of blood. My noise must be bleed.
"The house is that way," Justin stated, "But the gully gets smaller that way."
He wasn't saying it for me to answer but just trying to get his thoughts together. I was too busy inspecting myself, mud and leaves all over my clothes. A sign that I had slid on my front. My thigh stung, making me think that I had cut myself as well.
"But, I think there's a cottage that way," he stated pointing in the opposite direction of the house.
I jumped when there was another grumble, louder than the first one.
"I think the Gods have decided."

Justin
I helped her walk across the uneven muddy ground. She stumbled on her feet, clinging on to me as tight as possible. I felt light drops of water every few minutes, the time getting shorter with each drop. It wasn't long till the cottage came into view, with its stone brick walls, two arched rooves – one smaller than the other, and a water trough out the front. Probably used to wash clothes.
Wet, gravel rocks crunch under my feet as I continued to walk us towards the door. It opened with a strong push and the encouragement of the rain.
First thing I noticed was the smell, wood, pine and mould. It was dark but warmer than outside. Sarah shuffled through, finding a chair to sit on. In the dark light, I spotted a fire place and a small pile of wood beside it. I inspected it and found that it was dry enough and placed three of the smaller pieces in the fire place. My fingers searched the edge of the fire place, hoping for matches. I groaned in relief when I did. I lit the match had held it to a piece of bark and was amazed when it caught fire. It gave a little light to the cottage, making everything glow around it, as well as heat. I turned to Sarah. She stared into the fire, memorised by the flames. I took her hands, and stood her up to study her. She was a mess. Mud all up her front, dirt on her face, blood down her chin. Rain poured outside as I ripped a piece of my shirt to wipe her mouth. Her giggles filled my ears making me smile. She took the material from me and started to wipe it herself. I realized that she could have cut herself and also that her clothes were wet as well as muddy.
When I started to unbutton her shirt, she jumped, "What are you doing?"
"Getting you out of those clothes," I told her, "You'll get pneumonia if I don't."
She shrugged and allowed me to keep unbuttoning her shirt and then permitted me to take of her jeans and boots. She had a few scrapes on her belly, a scratch on her collar bone, and a cut on her thigh. It wasn't that deep though. I watched her comb her fingers through her knotted hair. I smiled peering over her scratches. Small bumps appeared one her skin and I realized that she must be cold.
"Here, come here," I said taking her closer to the fire.
I wrapped my arm around her shoulders. The fire's heat was nice on my face and the feel of Sarah's soft skin on my hands was lovely too.
I jumped when I felt her start unbuttoning my shirt.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"Body warmth," she stated, "If I'm going to be freezing my ass off, so are you."
I smiled, lying down for her. She giggled, continuing to unbutton my shirt and then take off my jeans. I shifted us closer to the fire, feeling warmer than ever. Sarah nuzzled my chest, snuggling me till she was comfortable. I fingers brushed her hip and her black lacy thong. I loved her so much.
"Remember the first time we met," I asked her.
"Which time. Hotel room or the homeless shelter."
I shrugged, "The hotel room, I guess."
She giggled, "I thought you were so charming."
"And I thought you were the most beautiful homeless person I've ever seen," I admitted pushing a lock of hair behind her ear. She closed her eyes and colour came to her cheeks.
"The fairest in all the land," I said leaning up to her lips.
They tasted of dirt and blood. But they were Sarah's lips.