Chapter 42

Chapter 42
Sarah
My eyes grew open as sleep began to disappear from me. I didn't know what time it was but I knew it would be late. Justin and I didn't go to bed till the early hours of the morning. My breasts were still tender and my knees were still weak. We had gone on for hours.
Justin lied face down in the pillows, with his arm out around my body. I smiled, never feeling so happy to have a man's arm pressed against my breasts. Never was I so happy to know, even that it was unlikely, that there was a possible chance that I could be pregnant.
I had never known what it felt like to have a man's seed inside of me. I had always thought that if any chance that it would happen, if a deal was too good to refuse and we didn't have protection, I would feel ill or violated or even frightened. But I felt proud and excited if there was a chance.
Justin groaned braking my thoughts. I smiled and shifted even closer to him. When he tilted his head to look at me, I took his lips in mine. We had a conversations of moans before we ended up and a ball of giggles. He rolled allowing me to move on top of him.
"I don't think I can go again. Last night really tuckered me out," he admitted making me giggle, "is there any chance that we could have made a baby last night?"
I shrugged, "Probably not, but you never know."
"Probably for the best, I don't think we can fit a crib in this hotel room."
I giggled, almost revealed about what he said about the crib.
"We don't always have to stay here," I sighed resting my head on his chest.
"Well where do you want to go?" he asked.
I knew in my mind where I wanted to go, home. But I knew in my heart home was where ever Justin was.
"I'll go where ever you go?" I told him.
"Really?" he sounded surprise, "What about Willow Tree Abby, your home?"
I lifted my head to look at him, "You're my home."
He smiled softly, running his fingers through my hair.
"Sarah, I don't want you to give up your life for me. And if you do, the pass two years will be for nothing."
"It won't be for nothing," I quickly said, "If I hadn't moved to London, I wouldn't have met you."
He smiled, running his thumb over my lips.
"Say something," he asked.
"Like what," I said with a laugh.
"Anything."
I smiled trying to ignore his thumb, trying to think.
"I saw Susie sitting in a shoe shine shop. Where she sits she shines, and where she shines she sits."
He burst into laughter, shanking his shoulders as he tried to stop. Absolutely in love with his laugh, I decided to keep going.
"How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?"
"What?" he choked.
"Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?" I asked.
"Or, Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?"
I hung my head in laughter, amazed at him. I knew I would have gotten caught on the first sentence.
"I guess there are advantages to have had proper schooling," he said.
"Yes, we can say all types of tongue twisters."
I felt as if I was on a jumping castle as he chuckled. I kissed my way from his chest to his neck and then finally to his lips. They tasted just as good as they did last night.
"What day – is it?" I asked realizing that I really had no idea.
"Wednesday," he answered still kissing my lips.
"And the date?"
"The fourth."
I pulled back, realizing. It's the three year anniversary of my father's death, three years since I left my home for London.
Cupping my check and bring me back to the present, Justin asked, "Why what is it?"
I opened my mouth to speak but closed it again. I didn't want him to know, at least not yet. My heart started to pound as I thought of an idea of how to spend the day. Not on the streets like the past two years. Something special.
"Nothing, really, but I'm going to spend the day out today," I told him.
"You don't want me to go with you?"
I shook my head, "No, it's a surprise for you."
"Should I be scared?" he asked.
I sighed, resting my head on his chest.
"I never want this to end."

Justin
I sat in the library, staring at a blank computer. I didn't know what I was doing here or what I wanted to google. I was supposed to be looking up what makes a mocking bird keep its tune but nothing was really coming up. So now I was bored out of my mind, thinking about Sarah's surprise. What could it be?
At the thought of Sarah, I decided to search a name into google.

Victoria White

It came up with a few things. She was born in Carwinley a town nineteen minutes from Carlisle. She married Sarah father, Keegan White in 2001 when Sarah was seven. Victoria had been twenty-five, meaning she's probably like thirty-nine. There was also a photo of her. Keegan must have had a taste because Victoria could have been Sarah's sister. She sat on a wooden chair, side on but she faced the photographer. Her long black hair was platted and hung over her shoulder. Her stare was cold and she wore no smile. I wouldn't want to sleep next to her at night no matter how much someone paid me.
I wondered if Sarah had ever been frightened of her, before the murder of her father that is. Victoria didn't look like a mommy person and Sarah had only been seven. Does that mean, not only did she loose her mother at five, but she never had a true mother figure that she could look up to?
I looked up from the computer and frowned when I noticed the guy from the laundry matt, reading a book at a table. Every so often he would look up from the book, staring at me. Freaked out, I logged off and left the library.
When I got back to the hotel room, I found it empty. I frowned when I noticed a note on my pillow and the bag of candles missing. Picking up the note, I recognised Sarah handwriting.

Go make a wish

I frowned. What could she mean by – I smiled as I realized. She's at the wishing well.
When I got there, Sarah was nowhere to be found. I chuckled to myself when I realized I was to make a wish.

I wish to spend my life with Sarah

As I leaned over the hole, I noted another note.

Go towards the road and turn right

I did as the note asked. I got to a high wooden fence with tall trees towering over it. The trees were thick, so thick that I couldn't see through it.
Up ahead was another note.  It was an arrow. I looked to where it was pointing and spotted another note. Pacing to it, I pulled it off the fence. It was another arrow. It pointed to one more note.
When I got to it, I noticed the small wired gate. The note said, go through.
The gate creaked as I opened it justifying how old it was. I looked around for another note but couldn't see through the dying light. That's when I noticed the little candle. I looked ahead and spotted another one. And another. I realized that it was a path and it lead somewhere. I followed them down a dirt path and around a bend. Soon the candles became close together meaning I was getting close. Vines hung down, creating a curtain for me to pass through. When I pulled them across, I found the treasure of the treasure hunt. Candles were everywhere creating one big glowing light. Trees surround us making it seem far away from everything we knew. Sarah sat on a picnic rug, next to a basket, with two glasses of champagne in each hand.
"I was wondering if you were going to even find me," she stated offering out one of the glasses. I took it and sat down across from her.
"You didn't make it easy, I'll say that much."
She giggled, I looked around at the scenery.
"So what are we celebrating?" I asked wondering why she had gone to so much trouble.
She opened her mouth to speak, but froze.
She shook her head and sighed, "It's three years since I came to London," my mouth dropped surprised, "which also makes it the anniversary of my father's death."
I connected the dots to this morning. That's why she was so shocked to found out what the date was today.
"Oh my God, Sarah, I had no idea," I stated.
"How could you, I've never told anyone. Not even Billy."
Though she was trying to reassure me, I still felt terrible. But something stuck in my mind.
"So why here?" I asked.
Taking a small sip from her glass, she told me, "Well when I got off the bus from Carlisle, I was so overwhelmed that I completely blacked out. All I remember is waking up...here."
I frowned.
"This is where you woke up?" I asked pointing to the ground.
She nodded.
"Wow," that was all I could say.
I took a sip of my champagne feeling the bubbles pop in my mouth. Three years of this hell.
I decided to change to a happier note.
"What do you remember about him?" I asked.
She seemed surprise by the question.
"Ahh, well, I guess his feeling. I always felt protected by him and he always was um," her smile grew wide as she thought more about it, "I remember this one time, I must have been six or something, he took me fishing by this lake that ran through the estate."
"Did you catch any?" I asked.
She shook her head, "no, but he said that it wasn't about catching fish. It's about losing all your troubles away."
"Sounds like a smart man," I said.
"He was," her voice faded away as she cupped her hand over mouth, stifling a cry.
"Come on, Snow," I said sitting up and wrapping my arms around her, "Don't cry. Don't think of it as your father that was taken away from him. Think of him as your father that you spent great times with."
"I know," she cried, "but it's just so hard."
I squeezed her tighter, kissing the top of her head.
"This wasn't the plan for tonight," she admitted sniffing. She pulled back so that she could see my face.
"How was it supposed to go?" I asked.
"Well we were supposed to have champagne, strawberries and then," she pause digging into the basket. She pulled out a piece of plastic, I didn't know what to say when I realized what it was.
"So celebrating your father's death, we were going to celebrate life?" I asked teasing her.
She giggled wiping away a tear that had escaped from her eye. At that moment, I cupped my hand over her cheek and brought her lips to mine. We shifted up onto our knees, letting each other peel away the other's clothing. She fell back, allowing me to move up on top of her. Her moans filled my mouth as I spread her legs and started to enter her.
When we had finished, I pulled half of the blanket over us as I held her in my arms. There was a slight breeze but our body heat kept us warm.
Sarah didn't have a nightmare that night and I truly believed that that part of her life was over. But it was only just getting started.