Chapter 13: The Test

Sorry for the awful photoshop by me... :P

Kate
This cannot be happening. We're getting married, everything is going so well, what are we going to do now? The test in front of me makes me panic. I'm not ready for a baby! We just got a dog.

How am I going to tell Rick?

Rick
"Everything okay, babe?" I ask, knocking on the bathroom door after I made sure she'd been there more than she should.

"Yeah, yeah. Everything's fine, don't worry, don't you have to go to work or something?" My fiancé answers. I'm confused and know Kate is hiding something from me, but I let it go.

"S-sure..." I say, uncertain. "I'm leaving. I'll be in the living room because, as you might know, I work here," I finish, trying to make her notice I know something's wrong. When I don't get any answer back, I give up and walk toward the red couch with my laptop.

She enters the van without hesitation, knowing he'll be there the second he notices she's gone.

I finish typing my chapter and Kate still doesn't leave the bathroom. At least now I can hear the sound of the shower, but I'm still worried. What is going on with her?

Kate
It'll be fine. We're in love. Its not like I cheated or something, it's just too much. I just got back to work and I'll have to leave for the baby.

I finally exit the bathroom and make my way toward Rick, who's sitting on the couch while on his laptop. "Hey, baby. Everything okay?" He says, never taking his eyes off the computer.

"I- Yes," I answer, deciding I'll tell him about my discovery later. "I'm just going to make some breakfast. Want some?" I ask.

"Just coffee. Thanks, babe," Rick says, looking into my eyes. I feel as if he could read my mind, so I hurry to the kitchen. I make myself some tea and some coffee for Rick.

A few hours later

I still don't have the courage to tell Rick about the baby growing inside me. I know it's stupid, but what if he doesn't want it? What if I lose the baby again? The crash gave me more insecurities that I can't ignore, so I head calmly to work, without a word of the subject.

Luckily, there was a murder close by, so I'll be able to take my mind off the pregnancy and focus on work.

"Beckett!" Espo calls out, "Over here!"

I walk over. As Lanie explains how the person was murdered, I paid close attention, until my phone rang. "I'll be right back," I tell my coworkers as I step aside and answer my phone.

"Hey, baby, where are you? You left so suddenly," Rick says through the phone.

"I'll be there in a few minutes," I assure my fiancé. I know I can work from home until we get back to New York, so I plan on getting back to the Hamptons soon.

As I drive back, my mind is completely blank. I have no idea what I'll tell Rick or how I'll do it, I just know I have to tell him he's having a baby. I park my car in the garage and enter the house to find Rick asleep on the couch. As it is almost noon, I cook lunch before waking him up.

"Hey, babe," I say while shaking him, "Lunch is ready."

He stands, "You cooked this?" He asks surprised.

"No, It was the neighbor's dog," I say sarcastically and laugh. He joins in before sitting at the table.

"Well, it looks delicious," he says and starts eating.

I decide I should tell him rite now, so I start, "Rick, I-" he cuts me off.

"This food is awesome!" He's attacking his plate as he talks to me.

"I'm glad you like it babe, I just-" he cuts me off again.

"What is your secr-"

"I'm pregnant."

Shorter chapter, but I hope you enjoyed. Remember to vote and comment because it really helps my motivation for writing. <3