Chapter 4: To the Dancefloor

Alexis

I hate her so much! Meredith is the worst girlfriend daddy's ever had. And now they're getting married! She always threatens and insults me. I don't want her to be my new mom.

The other day, as I was texting, she came to me while daddy was in the bathroom and threw my phone on the ground. Then, louder than she should have so that daddy heard, she said, "Oh my gosh, what happened to your phone? Are you okay beautiful?" Then she stuck her tongue out at me and left to look for my dad. I ended up grounded for two weeks and with no phone.

Now, they're planning their wedding. I know my dad's happy, but I don't want him to be with her. She is mean and controlling. Meredith didn't even let her future husband choose his own venue! I hate her so much.

"Hi, daddy!" I walk in the apartment after school without even looking at The Witch.

"Hi baby girl. How was school today?" My dad says, lifting his head and looking at me.

"Fine. Today in history, the teacher taught us about Halloween and its history. Did you know it is derived from a celebration of old tribes who believed evil spirits could come back to earth on October 31st? She also taught us about this witch named Meredith. She was ugly and hated children, so she hurt them behind their parents' back, seemingly kind the adults," at this, Meredith's head shoots up and she gives me a threatening look. I smile innocently at my dad and say, "What a coincidence! She has your name!" I point to Meredith and daddy turns around. Meredith changes her face to an innocent smile.

"What a coincidence," She says. "Well, why don't you go do your homework, beautiful, and your dad and I keep planning the wedding?" My dad looks down at a magazine with flower photos and Meredith smiles viciously at me. I give her a last smirk and leave proudly.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next day

Kate

I'm starting to like Castle. Maybe it's the way he takes everything so seriously, or how his eyes meet mine when we are thinking logically, or... Who am I kidding? I can't even fool myself. Castle is always making jokes or playing. His only explanations or theories for a murders are either about aliens or vampires, I can't believe the amazing Derrick Storm novels actually came from HIM.

"Maybe the it was the maid!"

"Why would it be the maid?"

"Think about it, what if she was employed, but the victim didn't pay her, so she got mad and killed him for revenge," he has a sparkle in his eye, as if he just solved the Da Vinci Code. "Huh?"

"Her financials show she got paid," I respond, annoyed. "Do you have another theory, Sherlock?"

"Well... No. But I will, just give me a second."

Hours later

"I can't believe it was actually the maid..." I tell Rick, who walks triumphantly beside me.

"I told you, didn't I?" He says, turning his head to me.

"Yeah, but you got it all wrong. She didn't kill him for money, she killed him because of their affair. She was so in love that, if she couldn't have him, no one could. Definitely a crime of passion," I look at him and see he is paying complete attention to what I'm saying. It feels awesome.

"Maybe too much passion," he says looking away and chuckling. I laugh too.

Maybe he isn't such a bad guy. Rick just has a lot of imagination, but he's also funny, cute, handsome, talented... What am I doing? I shake the thoughts off my mind. He's just a partner who will leave in about a year and who's just looking for something book-worthy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laine

"Why not?"

"Because I have work to do," Kate points at her paperwork. She is so workaholic!

"Well, you should get out more, meet some guys, dance..." I say, trying to get her attention.

"No thanks," She responds.

"Please? Well have fun! Everyone will be there! Ryan, Jenny, Javi, me..." I try to get her attention.

Kate stops what she's doing and looks at me, thinking. I'm waiting for the "no," but it never comes. "Fine. But we have to invite Castle. He's part of the team too," she finally says.

"What? Seriously? Oh my god. Sure, I'll invite Rick. Oh my god," I'll invite Gates if she wants, just while she comes too.

"Okay then. I'm going home to change and I'll meet you there," she says calmly. I still can't believe it.

"O-okay. See ya," I head out the door amazed. When I get to the parking lot, I see Javi leaning on his car, texting.

"Hey, Chica. How'd it go?" He looks up, looking at me sadly, as if I already said it went bad.

"She's coming!" I squeal and his eyes widen. I can see he is as amazed as I am.

"Let's go then!" He says and gets in the car.