Chapter 1: Love and Heartbreaks

If a name is underlined, it means it's their POV. Hope you like this new fanfic!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick

I open the box and, before seeing the ring she says, "Yes! A million times yes!" I put the ring on her finger and kiss her.

An hour earlier

I invited Meredith to the best restaurant in New York City and I can't wait. Yesterday, I was speaking to my 12-year-old daughter, Alexis. She asked if I loved Meredith. At first, I didn't the understand the question and wasn't sure how to answer it.

"Do you?" She queried.

After thinking a little about it, I finally answered. "I do. I love Meredith so much, but not as much as you!" I said, approaching and tickling her.

"Stop!" She cried. We both the laughed and she went to sleep.

I've been thinking a lot about that conversation and I realized I do love Meredith. A lot. That's why I asked her to join me at this restaurant today. I have a band waiting for my signal to start playing, an order of champagne, and a 10-carat ring in my pocket.

After giving the Ferrari to the valet, we entered. Now we are checking in. I ordered a table for two on the balcony, with the best view of the city. Meredith is beside me, but she doesn't seem amazed. I know she will when we are shown to our special seats. I was only allowed to book the balcony because I am a good friend of the owner of the restaurant, so he set up a beautiful, candle-lit dinner. This is going to be the most romantic night ever.

"Let me show you to your table." A waitress tells us guiding us through glass doors and into the restaurant. I can't help but smile. I want to see Meredith's face when she sees the ring.

We travel around tables and through a classy, well decorated corridor until we finally get to a small table with two tall glasses of champagne and a bucket of ice with a bottle of the same liquor in it.

"Wow," Meredith exclaims grabbing my arm. "It's beautiful!"

I push the chair back for her to sit. When she is comfortable, I move to my side of the table and sit down too. I've decided the proposal will be almost at a the end of dinner, so I call our personal waiter and we start ordering.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"So," Meredith says. "How's Alexis? That little angel."

Alexis and Meredith don't get along very well. I don't blame it on anyone. None of my girlfriends have connected with her since her mother died. I like that Meredith at least tries.

"Fine. She's with my mother today so you won't be able to see her," I answer with a smile.

"Oh. Okay. I guess we have sometime to ourselves then?" She asks grabbing my hand.

"I guess so. That's why I invited you here today," I put my hand in my pocket and take out the little box carrying the ring. We've already been here for an hour and I can't wait anymore, I just want an answer. "You are the only woman in my life, and the one I love the most and, after giving it a lot of thought, I've decided I want to spend the rest of my life with you, so, Meredith, will you make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?"

Meredith is in tears. I open the box and, before seeing the ring she says, "Yes! A million times yes!" I put the ring on her finger and kiss her.

I knew it was going to be a wonderful night.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kate

"I am exhausted," I tell Lanie so she'll stop irritating me.

"Whatever. You can't just stay here all day," Lanie says. She's been telling me all day that I should "loosen up", but she doesn't realize I work 24/7. I'm just tired.

"I'm going home. I finally have a chance to get there early and surprise Josh," I say.

"Fine," she sounds annoyed. "But don't come running to me later because you are so bored with Josh," Lanie makes finger quotes and talks with a mocking tone when she says my boyfriend's name. I laugh.

"I won't. Bye!" I leave the 12th precinct with my bag in my hand.

My apartment is a far from my work building, so I get in my car and start the engine. After many twists and turns, I finally get home. I call the elevator and the door opens. When I'm inside, I push the button for floor 7. The elevator door opens again. I take out my keys and open the lock to my apartment.

When I enter the flat, I notice it feels emptier, as if someone had robbed it.

"Josh? Where are you?" That's when I noticed. My TV is still in the same place. My speakers weren't stolen either. Only Josh's stuff is gone. Except for one little envelope on the kitchen counter. It read Kate, in cursive letter. Josh's handwriting.

"Dear Kate, I am so sorry to do this. I cherish all moments we've had together, but there's another woman in my life. I love her more than anything in the world. If we're honest with each other, we both deserve more, better. I hope we can still be friends."

Wait. Another woman? Friends? Who does he think he is? What a jerk. He actually dumped me via letter? I'm not going to miss him.

__________________________________________________________
So?? How was it? Tell me if you like it and if I should keep writing!