Chapter 10: Waking Up

Hey, guys! I'm sorry it took so long! I'm going to publish this chapter during December and continue the story around January and February. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to everyone!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kate
I wake up in a white room. There's a window to my right, the hot sun slipping through it and lighting up the room. To my left, I see a blue curtain, noise coming from the other side. My head hurts and I feel weak. When I try to move, my whole body aches and I try to contain a scream. What happened?

The curtain opens and a man in a white coat with a stethoscope hanging around his neck enters the room. His name tag says Dr Ross. "Ms. Beckett. I see you've woken up. You were gone for quite a while." My head hurts and I can't think straight. A while? Gone? What happened?

"What happened to me?" I ask and the doctor looks up from his chart worriedly.

"You had a car crash. Do you not remember anything?" He says carefully, warily.

"No. Should I?" I ask, scared now.

"You must be in shock. It'll come back in a few days. At least you had a companion during the crash."

Rick. "How is he?"

Ross sits down slowly, without looking me in the yes, as if he's afraid of something. Suddenly, I know this is going to be bad news. "I'm afraid he didn't make it. The crash was too strong," he looks up at me and tears start falling down my cheeks. "Don't worry," he says, comforting me, "It'll be okay. I'm sure your husband and you will make it through."

I look up confused. My husband? Is this doctor crazy or something? "My husband? But you just said he didn't make it!"

"You mean..." He scans my eyes, looking for something in my expression, I don't know what to do. "You mean you didn't know?" He grabs my hand softly, as a friend would do when they try to convince you you'll be okay, that you still have a future. He was holding my hand like Lanie did when I thought I'd lost everything. "I'm afraid, Ms. Beckett, you were five weeks into pregnancy when the crash occurred. The baby didn't survive because of the strength of the collision.

"Pr-pregnant? B-baby?" Is all I can manage as Ross holds my hand lightly. "But, how?" I ask quietly and Ross looks uncomfortable, as if he didn't know what to say. I don't either. So we stay quiet for a while. Until I remember Rick again. "What about Rick? Is he okay?"

"Yes, he's perfectly fine. We're expecting your husband to wake up in a few hours at least," he assures me.

I clarify, "He isn't my husband. We're dating. Can I see him?"

"Of course. In a while," he adds. "You still haven't finished recovering."

"Fine," I give up and fall asleep just after Dr. Ross leaves.

Rick
"I just feel it's too soon," Mother says.

"Look, I don't think  anyone is getting any younger here. I have to do this. Maybe it is a little too soon, but I know it'll be fine. I love her," I finally convince Martha Rogers to accept my decision, which is a personal accomplishment, as she doesn't like to be wrong and will never agree to anything she doesn't like.

"Fine," she says. I just hope you don't regret anything afterwards," she says holding my hand.

"I won't, I promise."

Mother stands and drinks a little water from her cup on the other side of the room. "Did the doctor tell you how she's doing?" She says when she puts the cup down.

"Not really. I couldn't ask. I just woke up, remember?" I chuckle.

"I'll go ask for you, Richard," she leaves the room and I'm left alone. I hope Kate is okay. I hope she'll say yes.