Chapter 12: The Proposal

Hi guys! I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while. I'm going to start posting every Monday and Friday from now on. This story is coming to an end, just a few more chapters, so enjoy!

One day before

Rick
I'm afraid of what will happen when Kate gets home. I'm cooking her favorite meal, so she won't be in such a bad mood. I hope she's not the detective getting fired, because Kate loves her job with a passion that I've never known anyone own before.

After setting up the table and sending Alexis to her room to do homework, I was ready for Kate's arrival. I feel very nervous because I've finally decided to ask the big question. To make the dinner a little more romantic, I dim the lights a bit.

Now comes the waiting.

Kate
Alexander is my partner. Alexander is my partner. Alexander is my partner. Alexander is my partner. I keep telling myself as I drive because I can't believe it. I thought I was getting fired! Instead, I got a new partner.

I enter the apartment and Hope runs towards me. Rick is in the kitchen, "Hey, beautiful. How'd it go?" He asks.

"Actually, pretty great," I say. I tell him everything that happened during dinner.

"I'm still shocked because of the crash and Alexander and the not-getting-fired part, but everything's fine, I guess," I finish.

Suddenly, Rick stands, moves towards me and holds my hand. "We'll get through it. I promise. In fact, I want us to get through it together. You're the most intelligent, beautiful, interesting, and perfect woman I've ever known," he kneels in front of me and I think I'm crying, but I can't feel anything. I'm completely numb. "You are loved by my mother, loved by my daughter, even our dog, so I wonder, Katherine Beckett, will you marry me?"

"Yes! Of course! I love you so much!" He puts the ring on my finger, stands up, and kisses me. 

"Why are you making so much noise? I'm trying to focus here!" Alexis enters the room annoyed.

Rick opens his mouth to talk, but I interrupt him, "Hey, Alexis. I hope it's okay to you, but your dad just asked me something very important. Would it be okay with you if we started hanging out a little more often? Maybe even if I put on a white dress, your dad puts on a suit, you it on a nice dress an-"

I get interrupted, "You two are getting married?" She sounds mad, so Rick and I freeze. Her frown starts to fade and she begins to show a smile, "That's awesome! You're, like, the best girlfriend my dad's ever had!" She runs towards us and hugs us. Hope jumps on her back and she starts laughing. Now we're all laughing out loud.

That is the moment when I realize, I wouldn't want my life any different.

Rick
"You are loved by my mother, loved by my daughter, even our dog, so I wonder, Katherine Beckett, will you marry me?" I anticipate the worst and can't believe when she says yes. After Alexis comes out of her room, we all laugh for a while, and we sleep thinking about our incredible future to come.

The next day, we pack our bags and leave to the Hamptons. In the middle of the trip, Kate feels nauseated, so we make a few stops and she throws up on each one. I'm a little worried about the way back, but I know she'll feel better when we arrive. We left Alexis at her friend's house and are now trying to remake my old plan for a romantic getaway which was supposed to take place the day of the crash.

"I've never been to the Hamptons before," Kate said, deep in thought.

I chuckle, "It's not such a big deal, just big houses, big yards, and big pools. Perfect paradise to spend an entire weekend in," I assure her and she holds my hand. The light of the sun makes her engagement ring sparkle, and she stares at it as if it would bring good luck to every day of the rest of her life.

We finally arrive at the house and unpack our stuff.

"Wanna hit the pool?" Kate asks, grabbing her black bikini.

"Now that I see that," I say pointing at the swimsuit, "of course I do."

My fiancé laughs a little and we prepare for the water.

The rest of the night is a complete blur. We had some wine and went to the bedroom. I don't remember much after that, but I can easily know what happened by the lack of clothes on me when I wake the morning after. Kate isn't on the bed beside me, but I can hear the coffee machine working, so I sleep for another while.

When I wake up again, Kate walks into the room, "You're awake?"

"Of course. I also smell coffee. Bring me some?" I ask while trying to stand up. She pushes me onto the bed again and puts her finger on her lip, signaling silence.

"I'll bring it to you. Don't move," she leaves the room and enters again with a tray carrying two cups of coffee, some crackers, and a glass of water on the side.

We eat and drink our breakfast and talk for an hour without ever leaving the softness of the bed. I can't believe how much I love her.

Kate
I leave to the bathroom. Before Rick woke up, I went to the supermarket, just a few miles from here and bought a few pregnancy test, just in case. I try one. Negative. Good. I try another one, just to be sure.

My entire face suddenly shows worry and dread, "No, no, no, no, no. No," I say quietly so Rick won't hear. This cannot be happening. We're getting married, everything is going so well, what are we going to do now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope you liked the chapter! If you did, don't forget to vote and comment because it really helps my motivation to keep writing. <3