Chapter 11: Fired

Kate
Rick and I are still in the hospital. We've been here for almost a week, doing tests. We're both fine, but the doctors want to check again and again for signs of heart and brain failure. At least we're allowed to see each other now, although we don't have any private time because a doctor is always around. If it isn't doctor Ross, it's nurse Dabria, who won't stop glaring at us.

I'm sitting next to Rick when a tall man with curly, orange hair and freckles enters the room. It seems he broke his left leg because he has a big cast around it and he's standing on crutches.

"Hello. I'm Alexander," the man says, leaning on his right crutch and lifting his broken leg from the floor. "I'm here to introduce myself and apologize."

"For what, I don't think I've seen you before," Rick says, confused.

"I was the person driving the truck that hit you. I'm so sorry, I guess my truck is just bad luck because I had two other crashes this year. Those were smaller than this one, of course, but I'll have to switch to an actual car," he chuckles as I'm left shocked.

Rick and I don't move. I'm just surprised and Rick looks so angry I can almost see the steam coming out of his ears.

I talk before my boyfriend explodes, "Hi, thank you for coming here. We're sorry too, even though it wasn't anybody's fault anyway."

"Well, I guess I'll see you around. I'm staying for another five days, so you can come if you want. By the way, if your car was damaged in any way, I'll write a check," Alexander said as he left.

"Don't worry about it, we'll pay for it," I said just before he turned out of sight.

3 months later

Rick
"So, what are we naming her?" Kate is sitting in the couch with the baby golden retriever lying down beside her.

"How about... Hope," she says.

"That's a beautiful name. I think it's perfect," I say while I go to the kitchen and start cooking. I have to get all the food ready before Alexander arrives. We invited him for dinner to get to know him better. At the hospital, we talked a couple of times, but it was always short. Before leaving, he left us his number and we finally decided to call him after our families had stopped treating us like babies and realized we were fine.

Kate
Alexander finally arrives. He hasn't gotten out of his crutches yet, so I help him sit down before I do same. I'm glad he's here because I think it's better for all of us to talk, get to know each other, and maybe even become good friends.

"Welcome," I say as Rick starts serving our plates and pouring some wine for the three of us. "I hope you like lasagna, because Rick makes the best one in the entire city."

Rick smiles, "Probably true."

"Thank you, I love lasagna," Alexander says as he laughs.

There's a long pause on the table, and I finally ask, "So, Alexander, what do you do for a living?"

The spark in his eyes after my question shows me Alexander is excited about his job. I also notice it in the tone of his voice as he talks, "Well, actually, I'm a homicide detective," I immediately get excited.

"Oh my god, I'm a homicide  detective too! Where are you working?" I ask.

"Before, I was working as a security officer, but I finally got the job of my dreams at the 12th precinct. Apparently, they're firing this detective who hasn't gone to work in almost four months, and I'm replacing him or her. I have no idea who he or she is, but I'm glad I got the job, you know?" He finishes smiling.

I drop my fork and Rick instantly stands up and runs towards me, even though I'm right in front of him. When Alexander sees a tear fall down my cheek, I see he begins to worry, but I don't care. Im losing my job!

"Is everything okay?" Asks our guest as Rick and I hold hands. He's trying to comfort me and I'm trying to stop the tears from ruining my makeup, but I can't help it.

Rick starts talking softly, "Kate works at the 12th precinct. Because of the accident, she hasn't gone to work in almost four months. Who do you think you're replacing?" His voice gets angrier by the second, but I calm him down with a hug as I stand and walk to our bedroom. I'm glad we're living together—he asked me about a month ago— because I can just throw myself on my bed right now. I try not to think about work, or tomorrow as I drift into a deep sleep.

Rick
I can't believe what just happened. Before going to my room with Kate, I told Alexander to go home and made sure Alexis was resting. I lie down on the bed and realize Kate is already fast asleep, so I turn off my light and doze off beside her.

"What? Are you crazy? I won't marry you! We've only been dating for four months! It's a little too soon don't you think?" Kate yells at me.

"Well, yeah, maybe, but I know we can get through it together. I love you so much Kate Beckett," I answer, shocked and embarrassed at my girlfriend's response to my proposal.

"Rick, I loved you too, until now, when I realize you are just desperate. First it's Meredith. And now it's me. Please, leave me alone and don't call me ever again! Got it?" She storms out the door and I'm left on my knee, with a useless ring, in a useless box.

"Babe? Are you okay?" Kate wakes me up from my nightmare, "Hey," she says softly, "You were screaming, everything okay?" She asks and I nod.

"Don't worry about it, it was just a stupid nightmare," Right?

Kate
I can't believe Rick. He was totally dreaming about Meredith. He was screaming something like don't leave! Please! He couldn't be dreaming about me because we're dating right now, so it has to be Meredith. Right?

Anyway, I have more important thing to worry about today. I'm getting fired... And Alexander is replacing me... Yeah, I'm not liking my odds for the day.

"Good luck today, honey," Rick says as I give him the don't-you-dare look. "We don't know that you're actually getting fired, so please don't give me that look," he chuckles, but I seriously don't find it funny. At all.

Later

"Hey, Espo," I wave at my partner and he smiles as he waves back.

"Hey, Beckett," he says, "I haven't seen you in a while. Everything fine?" Right. So maybe I told my captain to please not tell anyone about my accident. How am I going to explain this without everyone worrying? I'm completely fine, they just don't know it.

"I was just taking a break. I guess I was tired of solving all the cases on my own, so I left some for you and Ryan to do by yourselves," I joke and Espo chuckles. His smile turns into a pitiful look and I know he knows something.

"Detective Beckett, please come into my office," Captain Gates announces leaning on her door.

I walk over and prepare myself for the worst, but when I enter the captain's office, I see her sitting on her desk and an orange-haired man on a chair.

"Hi, Kate," my replacement tells me as I sit on the chair next to him.

"Well, I guess you've already met, so I see no actual point in this," Captain Gates says, visibly bored. "I called you here, Kate, to introduce you to your new partner, Detective Alexander Gilbert."

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please vote and comment because it helps me get motivated for more. Thank you so much for your support!