Chapter 24: Dominance and Submission.

Start from the beginning

We were all feeling sick to our stomach about what happened to Lucas, he of all people didn’t deserve this, but at a time like this we had to remain strong because something told me that that attack had only been the beginning. The tension and despair around the room was almost stifling and I decided a change of subject was in order.

“Hey Grady, I meant to ask…what’s with the ring you and Thomas wear?”

It worked…somewhat.

Grady looked down at his hand and a small smile graced his face. “It’s an engagement ring.” He offered and Laken shifted a little and I was surprised a chuckle escaped him.

“Grady has this ridiculous idea that the mating ceremony is a marriage. He refused to do it until Thomas bought him a ring.” Laken supplied and I laughed. Yeah that sounded like Grady alright.

“Not true! I would have done it anyway but…it just didn’t seem right without a ring.” He grumbled and we laughed again.

“And this is why I wouldn’t want to be mated to a human…they’re so hard to please.” Rivers spoke up and we all laughed again because if anyone was hard to please it was the mighty Rivers.

“You know what? We’ve been so stressed lately and it can’t be good for us…I say we just stop talking about all our problems today and just breathe and do something to take our mind off things.” Rivers said and Grady spoke.

“What do you have in mind?”

“Well I could cook and Jessie could bake something and we all play some games or watch a movie or dance...anything...as long as we get to think about other things for a few hours.” He said with a grin and I found myself liking the idea.

“Yeah sounds good.” Jessie was beaming.

“I’ll just run to the store and pick up a few things and I can stop over at the mall and  get some movies.” Rivers continued, pushing up from his seat. He froze at the sound of Marcus’ voice when he reached the door.

He’d been content to sit silently until now.

“We don’t know the reason behind the attacks yet. The perpetrator could be targeting a select few or just anyone associated to the pack. It’s not safe to leave camp right now.” He said and Rivers rolled his eyes.

“Sweetie, we’re not safe in camp anyway and I’m not about to hide out in here with my tail between my legs.” Rivers argued and when he turned to go again; his hand closing over the door knob Marcus growled. Yes growled.

“Sit down Rivers, it’s not safe and you’re not going anywhere.” He said, his tone brooked no argument.

Rivers’ eyes widened and he stood there looking at his mate. “Marcus you’re being unreasonable, you can’t very well expect me to-”

“I can and I do.” Marcus said, his voice firm and after glaring at each other for what seemed like an eternity, Rivers, folded his arms and flopped back down into the chair, looking miserable.

Grady snickered and when Marcus shot him a deadly glare he fell silent. We all watched as Rivers turned his big brown eyes on Marcus silently pleading and I smiled when my brother’s expression softened in the face of Rivers’ puppy dog eyes.

He sighed; “Alright, maybe you can go out for a few minutes…but I’m coming with you.” Marcus said and Rivers grinned pushing up from the chair once more and holding out a hand to Marcus, who took it after only a brief hesitation.

“Get everything set up guys, we’ll be back in a few.” Rivers assured us and they were out the door.

It was clear as day that Marcus was the dominant in this relationship but Rivers had him so wrapped around his little finger that Marcus didn’t even realize he wasn’t the one calling the shots.