19

Zee

The car ride was silent except for the music that was playing quietly in the background. We were on our way to Roman and Galina's shared house, and I could feel the tension coming off all three of our bodies. Romans leg was shaking as he stared out the window of the passenger side, and Joelle was fiddling with her fingers. I knew this would be crazy, after what happened this past week with Galina, nobody wanted to deal with what's going to happen next.

I put my hand on Roman's thigh and lightly rubbed it. "Dont worry, love. Its going to be okay. Stressing about it is only going to make it worse." I spoke in a soft voice. He looked over at me for a few seconds but then looked away. I sigh, removing my hand from his leg and setting it back on the steering wheel.

I stopped outside of the house and turned the car off.

"I'll stay here if you want, so you can go talk to her alone." I say to Roman. He grabbed my hand and rubbed his thumb on it.

"We're in this together, babe."

I looked in the back seat and Joelle was smiling at us. "Okay, let's go."

We all got out of the car, slowly making our way to the house. After stepping up the 4 concrete stairs, Roman went to reach for the handle. It was locked.

"I forgot my keys at the hotel." He answered, face palming himself.

"Daddy, there's a key under the mat." He looked at Joelle then bent down and lifted the black 'welcome' mat, revealing the silver key. Its been there for a while because once the key was lifted there was a spot that was clean where the key shadow was, all around it was dust or dirt.

Roman unlocked the door and we went inside; all the lights were shut off but the familiar sound of 'Kelly Clarkson' was playing from upstairs.

We climbed up the long flight, only for the music to get louder and the familiar stench of cigarettes roamed through the air. Joelle covered her nose and held my hand.

Once we got to the main bedroom, Roman opened the door and Galina was in bed with some guy, literally fucking.

"R-Roman!" Galina called out and hid under the blankets.

"So its true, you've been cheating on me ever since I left for WWE?"

The guy gathered his clothes and quickly ran somewhere.

"N- I mean, okay. Yes, but it's only because I miss you."

"Galina, how the fuck do you miss someone but cheat on them, and blame it on your loneliness?" Roman's tone became strict and he walked further into the room. Joelle and I stayed out of there.

Galina started yelling, along with Roman, both about cheating.

"Wait, so you didn't find out about me cheating until a few fucking days ago, yet you were cheating on me with that whore, Zee for a few weeks? You are stupid."

Roman laughed, "You have been cheating on me for years. Who is the stupid one? You're so unbelievable, why did I ever marry you?"

"Because you knew you couldn't do better."

"Really? I can't do better? I have Zee. She's better than your cheating ass. At least she isn't a lying, abusive bitch, who actually loves my daughter." Galina scoffed after Roman's rant. "By the way, I'm taking Joelle after tonight. And I'm divorcing you."

"You're not taking my daughter, Roman. You can't do that."

"I gained custody today. Dont tell me what you dont know. She doesn't deserve to live here with you."

I looked down at Joelle who had her ears covered. I lifted her up and walked to her bedroom to gather her things.

Joelle didn't say anything, all she did was gather her toys, clothes, shoes and a few other things. We could still hear Galina and Roman arguing through the walls, it wasn't very pretty.

Just then some type of glass vase or something hit the wall from the other side, making us jump.

"Im scared." She whispers, hugging me.

"Dont be, baby. Soon this will be over. I promise."

I helped her put her things into her pink suitcase, and she zipped it up. She looked around her room, staring at the light purple colored walls, that held a few pictures. One with the word 'Joelle', another with a picture of kittens, and the last with some inspirational quote. It was quite cute.

She walked to her white stand, and grabbed the picture of her and Roman, holding it tightly in her arms.

"Joelle, your mother wants to say goodbye." Roman said walking into the room, his forehead had a cut on it, a line of blood trailing underneath.

"I'm scared to see her." Joelle whispers, dropping her head down.

Roman sighs, touching his daughters shoulder lightly. "Its the last time you'll ever have to see her. She wants to apologize, and say goodbye. Can you do that?"

"Okay. Dont leave me here."

"I won't, we will be right here."

Joelle walked out of the room, going to the room over.

I sat down beside Roman on Joelle's soon to be old bed. My hand caressing his. He leaned his head onto my shoulder, sniffling.

"I hate her, I fucking hate that bitch."

"Ro..." I trail off, "Its going to be okay. Like you said to Jo, its the last time you'll ever have to see her."

"I know, its just that I didn't want Joelle to lose her mom this way. I dont want Joelle to suffer from her childhood while growing up. I'm scared she will get depressed, and have some type of mental illness. What if she-"

"Hey now, don't think like that. At least she won't have to spend the rest of her life with someone who hurt her physically. After this, she will recover and will be happy with her daddy."

"And with you, Zee. She loves you so much."