26

Chapter 26

We were already long on stage -8, others have been talking about the revolution, Wing, Damien's operation and their own one, switching topics every once in a while, but all that was occupying my head was Dice. He had said the guard wouldn't be the first one he'd killed. I knew he had killed, but I guess I've never realized it as much as now.

"I wonder what's going on outside," I said, pretending that was what I've been thinking about for the past hour. It at least took my mind off of Dice.

"What do you mean?" Mara asked me.

"I mean outside. What are people doing? Do all of them know about the additive already?"

"That's a reasonable question, but the way of finding it out is not," said aunt. "We won't go outside when we've finally reached calm."

"I will," I said and stood up.

Dice stared up at me before standing up, too. I wanted to say having him out in the open could be dangerous to the guards but I stopped myself on time.

"I'm going with you," said he.

I didn't object.

But aunt did. "No one is going out of here."

"So am I," said Shade and stood up, followed by Stew and then Mara.

"It's dangerous," said aunt.

"Then stay," I told her. I knew I just pushed her pride.

She rolled her eyes like a teenager she was inside. "Fine. But let's stay out of trouble and let's keep everyone alive."

We went up the stairs to the first floor. I was exhausted by the time we reached it and most of us had to stop to catch their breath. Everyone except aunt. She kept walking. Who didn't want to come again?

I was eager to watch the news. I wanted to know what was happening in the world that wasn't the Gov Castle. My parents popped up in my head. Through all this mess I had forgotten to ask Shade about them. I held his hand and slowed my pace, making us walk a few steps behind everyone else.

"How are parents?" I asked him in a whisper. I was both eager and scared to hear the answer.

"Not good," said he. "But not bad, either. They missed you a lot and were asking me about you all the time. I told them about the additive and they stopped taking it immediately. They said some of their friends have found it out too but they didn't believe until then. They're probably devastated after the Gov took me away from them, too."

"Did you stop, too?"

"Of course I did. Although I haven't turned supernatural yet."

"I peomised you, remember?"

"I don't need that if-" he was cut off by an unfamiliar voice telling us to stop.

"They're irritating me," said he and walked with fast pace towards the man holding the gun.

"No!" I called after him. Shade was never the one to pick up fights, but he was always the one to finish it. He gets aggressive real fast and when he does you should really run.

The guard just stared as Shade approached. He didn't fire or anything. Any guard would shoot you in place in such a situation. he has to be new. As soon as Shade went close enough he hit the gun with his palm, making the guy drop it. He then aimed his fist and hit him on his cheek so hard he collapsed on the floor. He sat up, touched his bleeding cheek and swore on Shade out loud.

Oh no.

I can't name one person that swore on Shade and can still walk past him without shivering in fear.