4

Chapter 4

I stared at the spot where he stood for a while, maybe two green lights, and on the third one I crossed the street, going to the direction of my house.

Thoughts about him have been bothering me all day. Maybe he was an albino? I've read about those. They ceased to exist with the new Gocernment.

I didn't know neither who he was, nor why he was staring at me, but both of the facts made me both worried and scared. I felt worried about this mutant as about someone ill, but at the same time, him staring at me across the street and then disappearing on my eyes made me afraid for my life.

It was around midnight, my family was asleep like everyone else in the city and I was thinking about everything that has happened in the last days. Then I heard a doorbell. I crawled out of the bed and down the stairs, my eyes half closed, my feet moving on their own. I looked through the peephole to see Serena standing there. I opened all the five locks on the door - that are only locked at night - and saw her in her pyjamas, her hair in two braids and her pillow in her hand. Guess I won't be getting any sleep tonight.

"Hey," she greeted. Her energy this late at night made me rethink my choices of being friends with her. "My parents are out. I'm crashing at yours tonight." And I'm the last one to know about it. Nice.

"Come in," I said and left her in an opened door, going to the stairs. I heard her lock the door and follow me. This was far not the first and even farther not the last time she's crashed at mine. She never bothers to inform me, though. Sure, I told her to come whenever she wants when she first crashed here, but I really didn't mean this.

I walked into my room and went straight for the bed, getting under the warm, fuzzy covers. I felt lights flash behind my eyeleds and Serena shuffling around.

"Do you, Ruby Ren, happen to know who found time to text me?" She asked.

My duties of being a good feiend made me sit up in my bed and ask her who. As soon as I did so she launched into a big drama story of how one of our classmates texted her that she'd had crush on for months. Again.

"You look detached," she said after finishing with the story.

"More sleepless," I replied.

"Sleep doesn't do you any good."

I looked at her as if she was crazy.

"It certainly wouldn't if you slept that night instead of having a one-night-stand at a party."

I gaped at her. "You venomous serpent!"

She fell on her back and started laughing. She could never hold her laugh at her own jokes. Her laughter was so loud and weird it made me crack up too. This is why I loved Serena, even with so many problems and unanswered questions around me, she made me forget about everything and laugh like there's no tomorrow.

"You've got something in your eye," she said as soon as she was finished, her smile fading.

"What?"I asked, touching my left eye.

"Go look in the mirror," she said and I did so, going into my bathroom.

I switched on the lights and went closer to the mirror, trying to catch what she meant. I saw it as soon as I looked closer: a grey fleak in my right eye; a grey line crossing the brown of my eye like one small drop of paint. I stared at it until Serena called for me to go back. Was this a part of the side effects of stopping eating the additive, or did that boy do something to me? His eyes weren't brown. Who knows, maybe staring at me he made me an anomaly too? I'm getting a little paranoid, but what is another explanation here to come up with?