Chapter 5

Riley's P.O.V

Party. How does that sound. Well it sounds like trouble to me. My parents told me to not go to parties only bad will come from them and I never knew what they mean by that besides the fact that you get drunk and and probably get into some random guy's pants. So I never went to a party nor do I want to go.

Even if I promised we never shook hands. So therefore I'm not going to any party. I sit on my bed in sweats and a loose crop-top that says 'M.A.T.H = Mental Abuse To Humans' and my hair in a bun with my headphones on and looking through my phone. I nod my head to the music not noticing the tapping coming from my window. I look over and turn down my music and open it up.

"Sup Maya." I say and sit down. She comes in and closes the window. "Why aren't you dressed we are going to a party."

"Sorry I don't do parties but you can go." She tries to convince me to go but I refuse. She sighs. "Fine. Then I guess I'm staying here." I shake my head. "No go to the party. I'll be fine."

"You sure?" I nod. She hesitates and then rolls her eyes. "Fine. I'll be back" She says in a ghostly way. I laughs and she smiles and leaves through the window. I close it and then lock it. "Riley it's time for dinner" My brother auggie says walking into my room. "Okay I'll be there in a few." He nods and then walks out. I set my phone and headphones on my bed and then walk out.

Oh my favorite. Mac n' Cheese. I then hear a knock at the door. "I got it." Auggie goes and answers. "Hey it's Ava Morgan Stern!" She says. Um okay. "Hey Ava."

"Hey August." They hug and close the door. "Honey Who's this?" My mom ask. "This is Ava." Auggie says bluntly. "She lives down the hall." My mother nods and then eyes Ava almost as if she's scanning her to see if she's something. "Okay well do you want to eat with us then?" She nods. She starts to eat Her bowl of mac n' cheese like all of us. It isn't the same without my dad.

It's only been almost a year. In a few months it will be a year. I don't know why but when one of our loved ones die I catch my mom walking out the door with a bag. I never knew what it was full of. My dad Cory would go with her too. So I would have to watch Auggie. "Mom. I was thinking. Can you guys not call me Auggie anymore." I furrow my eyebrows. "What? Why sweetie?" My mom ask as she put the bowls in the sink.

"Because I think I'm getting too old for that. I'm in 5th grade." He explains. I frown. "But Auggie- I mean August why the sudden change?"

"I just don't want to be called that anymore." He gets up from the table and Ava follows. They go in his room. "Well?" I look at my mom as she leans on the counter. "I don't know. I guess he's just growing up." I let out a quiet sigh. "Riley honey can you do the dishes just for tonight. I really have to finish these papers my boss bombarded me with." I nod.

I start to wash the dishes. My brother growing up? That's the end of that. Maybe I can get Uncle Josh to change Auggies oh I mean August mind. If he doesn't then August will always be Auggie to me and mom. I drift my thoughts to Maya. Why did she move her hand away from me so quickly. Did something surprise her? Or is it something else. Then My thoughts drift to Charlie. I don't know why.

He's such a jerk and annoying and a player. But in all honesty I don't think he means to. I mean everyone acts a type away for a reason. What's his? Maybe I can fix him if he just opens up. I don't know maybe we'll become friends and he will stop being fake. The my thoughts switch to what I was doing not really noticing that I basically just dropped a bowl in the sink and cut my fingers.

"Damn it." I mutter under my breath. "Honey what happened?" My mom comes in worried. "I just broke a bowl sorry mom." She looks at my bleeding fingers. "It's okay let's get this cleaned up." She gets the first aid kit. She gets the tweezers and takes out the small pieces of glass. She puts on alcohol and I breath in and out. When she's finished she said that it will bleed only a little and then it'll stop. She said that she'll finish the dishes and I nod. I go to my room and sit down.

I hear tapping and turn my head to my window. I look at the time 9:40 she's back early. I open it and turns out it's actually Lucas. Um okay. "Hey." I say. He sits down and closes the window. "You promised to be there."

"Yeah well actually promise didn't come out my mouth and we never shook on it." I state. He rolls his eyes. "Oh calm down." His eyes widen. "What?" He looks at my hand. "What happened to your hand?" He ask. "Oh well I broke a bowl and cut my fingers it's okay now though."

"Is it bleeding?" I shrug. I check by taking the bandaid off. "Yeah but only a little" I look at him and he's just staring at my hand like he wanted something. "Lucas?" I say. He looks in a trance memorized by something or maybe just deep in thought. "Lucas!" I nearly shout. Still nothing. I was so focused on getting his attention that I didn't notice that he picked up my hand. When I did I put the bandage back on and pull away.

He shakes his head and then looks at me. "Lucas?"

"I have to go." Then he starts to climb back through the window. "Lucas wait." He stops and turns to me. "Are you okay? I just wanted to know why you didn't answer me." His face was blank he showed no emotion. "See you at school." Then he leaves. What was that about?

Lucas's P.O.V

Holy crap.

I can't believe what almost happened. It's just it smelled so good and oh my god I couldn't control myself! Think about it. I never wanted something so much before. I would kill to have it and wouldn't care. I wanted it so bad.

I wanted her so bad. This shouldn't be happening. This can't be happening. But it is and I can't handle it. I don't know how. I can't tell anyone about this what would happen? My thoughts then left that and drifted back to her. But not only her but the red liquid come from her. It looked beautiful even if there wasn't much to look at. The fact that it came from her made it even more then it should be.

Although it smelled amazing that's not the only thing I wanted. Not the only thing I felt. I felt like I needed to protect. Like she's mine and no one will ever touch her. But then I also feel like she could be a danger not only to me but my family too. That's also something I didn't know how to deal with.