Chapter 10

Ezra POV

I was still in my cell and lay on my back on the bank, staring to the ceiling. It had taken me a while before I was able to set myself in this position. Those stupid chains sat in the way.

I didn't tried to escape because this time there was no vent in the cell. I did not know how I would get out of here once I had broken the chains. And I do not think they would fall for my trap again where I was choking.

So I was still thinking about the conversation with Dai. In one way or another, I had to agree with him. How hard I hated it.

The Empire had never done much good for me. And what the Inquisitor had said to him, everything could easily been set up. A bit like a game.

Would his parents ...

No! This is what they wanted. He began to doubt at himself, the ghost crew, the rebellion ...

I looked at my hands, which were clenched into fists. I was angry. Really angry.

Maia had betrayed him. Dai had betrayed him. My parents. The Ghost crew was he still not come to your rescue.

I clenched my fists even more. My knuckles were getting white.

The hatred, the anger was coming up again. And I did not even know why I was angry. Who or what I hated.

Then the door opened and I calmed down again.

It was Maia. "Ezra." She whispered.

I remained stubborn and stared at the ceiling.

Then I felt the chains around my wrists and ankles were gone and soon they clattered at the ground. I rubbed my wrists and saw red welts. I maybe wring a bit too much against the chains when I wanted to lie down. It was good to have them loose and to have a bit more free motion space.

"Why?" I asked. "The last time he wouldn't let you answer."

"They got Jonathan somewhere in a cell and the Inquisitor would torture him, if I didn't do it. The wouldn't kill him, but torture him. That is even worse. I can feel his pain already. He is scared."

She paused and then continued.

"But I heard the Inquisitor talk with Dai. They're going to murder me and together with Jonathan. Dai will murder us!" She screamed hysterically. "You must help me Ezra. I never wanted this." Tears streamed down her cheeks.

I stood up and laid my arms around her.

"We'll find him, but first we have to get out of here." It was unfortunate that this cell didn't had a ventilation hatch.

Suddenly she looked up at him with tears in her eyes as if she just realized something important. "They got your friends."

"Huh what?"

"When Dai came to talk with you that was just a distraction. So the Inquisitor and I could set up a trap. Dai was then called and I was sent out of the room, but listened to the conversation away from the air ducts." There still appeared a faint smile on her face. "You taught me what Bridger."

"And what did they say?"

"That the Inquisitor would let me kill once you had joined him."

"Phew. Even not in his dreams. "

"Yes, but he said he had found something. What, I do not know. "

"Okay, but do you know where my friends are."