Through thick or thin

3 months after

Eli's POV

My tummy is starting to show. Sooner or later I can't hide it anymore. Well, I don't care what my colleagues will tell against me. I know there will be rumors and it will be a shock that the girl who frequently miss many things in life  did not missed after all. I subconsciously laugh at the idea. I ask John to keep it secret and I explained to him that I don't want that the reason of any union with Anton is because of this baby. Anton should not be forced to marry me or even be oblige to give the financial rights of the child. I don't need pity. Many single mother in the world manage to bring up their children successfully. It's a matter of self determination. Anne and Anita were able to raise their child alone, why can't I. John completely understand and supported me as he promised.

I visited my family last month and they were all supportive of my situation. They did not judge me. They all hug me and assure that everything will be alright. Mom is planning to live with me soon and Patrick will try to find job here. As for Elsa I am very happy for her for her second baby. I have all the love and support I need. My family has been together through thick and thin and I thank God for blessing me with such loving and understanding family.

Having my child gave me more strength to live. I accepted the reality that no matter how much I like to have a complete family it can not happen. Still I have future. My child has a good future because I will be here for him/her. About the father? Well, I din't want to bother anymore. I try to completely ignore him. I intentionally deleted his number. I don't read newspapers that might pertain to his social life. I may not be ready and I don't want to be upset again.

I walk inside the office with all eyes following me. Of course, today, I started using maternity clothes. Somehow my small baby bump is already obvious. I am not ashamed of my baby. I never will. John just greeted me with a smile. I see how proud he is of my decision. Sooner or later they will get used to it.

I am busy editing the new designs I made when someone knock at the door. Mrs. Finnon came inside to greet me. Maybe someone told her the news and she's here to interrogate me or worst to fire me.

"How are you dear?" I stand up to shake her hand and she look at my tummy in shock. "Eli?"

"Good morning Ma'am," I just smiled at her, unaffected by her reaction."Have a seat. What cAn I do for you."

After a while she's able to compose herself and took her seat in front of me."I'm very sorry......I just feel bad that I'm your boss and I did not even had an invitation."

"Of course Ma'am you will be invited. How will I forget you. It's just that there is no.............." I look down and smile sadly.

She looked at me with all understanding. "No worries, Eli. I understand. I just hope you will not forget to invite me during the child's birthdays." My heart lit up with happiness. I still have my job."Of course, I can't afford to loose my best architect," and she  chuckled.

"Thank you very much Ma'am. I really do."

"I will not stay long as you know I am always busy. First, I would like to congratulate you on your baby.  Secondly, which should be the first 'til I found a surprise," she look at my baby bump and we both laugh, "I would like to congratulate the team for a job well done with the past projects. Congratulations Eli for being  a good team leader. As I told you honestly, you are one of my best architect and I do not want to loose you. An increase will be given to your department which I will announce on our yearly event."

I am very happy of all what I am hearing now. We have much blessings.

"And of course I know that some of the designs are originally yours and that will be taken good care of. Here is your cheque." I took the envelop she is giving with my smile already plastered on my face. I am overwhelmed by the surprises today.