Chapter 48

SUNDAY- JULY 4, 1976

Sam stepped off the tour bus, looking around, yawning, he had slept the entire bus ride; the little blond kept him ocuppied until dawn.

"Where are we?" He asked Tex, who was in front of him.

Tex grabbed Sam's bag out of the undercarriage hold, throwing it at him. "It's Sunday and we're in Amarillo, peckerhead. You know, the big fourth of July. The bicentennial."

Sam grinned cockily at Tex as he neatly caught his bag, one handed.  "Hey, man, no need to be so pissed. Just because I got the blond last  night." He laughed, hearing a growl come from inside the baggage hold as Tex  reached in to get his own duffle.

Tex emerged with his bag and walked past Sam, whispering under his breath. "I get the blond tonight."

Sam laughed as he caught up to him, "We'll see about that. Double or nothin'."

Sam gave Gisette a cool nod as he held out his hand for his room  key. She slapped the diamond shaped, plastic key fob into the palm of  his hand, muttering under her breath. "Please tell me that blond was  over 18."

Sam laughed, wickedly. "I didn't ask."

"You know what, Sam? I mean all business when I ask that. As a  road manager, I sure as hell don't want an asshole band member to get  arrested for fucking an underage groupie."

Sam tipped her chin up with a fingertip, squinting his eyes, he growled. "Next time, I promise to check their id. Will that make you happy?"

Gisette looked into his mocking blue eyes, "No, as your wife, I would be happy if you would come back to my bed."

Sam dropped his hand and looked away, clearing his throat. "I don't think I can do that, Gisette."

He stepped around her, shouldering his  duffle bag as he headed down the hall towards his room.

Gisette caught up to him as he opened his door, following him into the room.

Sam threw his duffle on the bed, and turned on her. "What is it now?" He confronted her.

Gisette looked back at him, angrily. "You know, you've given me this pissed off attitude before, when you first came back to the tour with Sarah. But I thought we had made it past that. Sarah's gone, Sam. She's not coming back. I thought we were going to start over. We made mistakes, we hurt ourselves and others with our actions. All of that is in the past."

Sam rubbed his hands over his face, then crossed his arms over his chest, his hand massaging over his heart.

"She knows that we got married, and not only married, but we did it on her birthday. Trish was right! My god! That was the shittiest thing we could have ever done to her! Don't you feel any shame over that, Gisette?"

Gisette narrowed her eyes at him. "We didn't plan it, Sam!"

"You have no idea how ashamed I am. I loved her, so much more than I have ever loved anyone. And all I did was hurt her, and drive her away. I fucking know that she's not coming back! I am going to start my life again, without Sarah. And without you."

Gisette walked slowly towards the door, the hurt showing on her face. "Okay, if that's what you want. Start again, but I'm not taking myself out of the picture, yet. I will go on with my life also. We'll see how it goes."

Sam turned his back to her, looking out the window. When he heard the door close behind him, he pulled the necklace out of his pocket, staring at it.

With a sigh, he crossed over to the desk drawer and found an envelope with the hotel stationary. He slipped the necklace carefully inside, tucking the chain around the heart, and he licked it closed, sealing it. Sam put the envelope in the bottom of his duffle, zipping it closed.